1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vector6, Oct 21, 2003.

1. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Would my 91' S-10 with a Meyer 6.5 plow benefit from these ?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,it would.Very easy to install,and will help it carry the extra weight of the plow.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is a light plow. I would just crank the torsion bars a bit and not worry about the expense. If you were running a Fisher or heavier plow then I could see needed the timbrens.
  4. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

I have "cranked the torsion bars" up, this spring I also installed 4 new ball joints, upper control arm bushings and 2 new hub bearings, then a front end alignment with everything mounted but the blade/a-frame.

even with the bars cranked up it still "hunkers down" the front of the truck when lifting the plow probably 3".

I was wondering, the Timbrens do they contact the lower control arm even without the plow ?

I realize I'm asking a ? that only a S-10 plow truck owner with timbrens could probably answer.

just wondering about the ride quality with timbrens in the summer/or without the plow on.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens on an S10 will contact the control at normal ride height.They will not affect the ride that much in the summer with the plow off.It takes only a few mins to pop them out and put the factory bumpstops back in.

The Timbrens will help prolong the life of front end components as well,even with the plow off.It takes a lot of stress off the front end.I can't understand everyone who says you don't need them.I've been using them for years,and have seen the benefits first hand.I have 2 S10's with plows,both running Timbrens since the plows went on.The bars are turned up a few turns,but not much.the more you crank up the torsions bars,the more you screw up the suspension geometry,and the harder it is on the font end.

The handling is also greatly improved with the Timbrens too.Less sway,and bounce,and give the truck a much more stable feel.

Do a search,and see how many satisfied users there are on this site.They can't all be wrong.

They are only like $160.00 a set.If you install them,and don't agree with everything I've said,I'll buy them back from you.
  6. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

you've convinced me... im ordering a set today..Thanks
  7. myo

myo Senior Member

Wyldman is right, they're worth the $160
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I was not arguing against them. I run them and really like them. I also run heavier plows. I found on the trucks I have installed or worked on with Meyer plows that they are seldom needed. We just give the torsion bars a crank. If you have tried that then they will definately help prevent the suspension from bottoming out and save components.
  9. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Timbren Load Boosters

Vector6 you will really notice the differance in the ride and handling of your S-10 with the Timbrens both with the plow on or off.
    The newer Timbrens are coming thru with the heavier 75 durometer rubber springs that will lift your truck a bit with the plow off if the bars haven't been adjusted.
    And no you will not want to take them off once you have them on cause you'll love them.
    Plus they are not a few minuite job to remove them and put the others back on for summer usage as the top bolt can be a bear to get loose and get at.
    If you need addition information just ask.
    :rolleyes: John..........
  10. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback,
    I had debated all summer after rebuilding the front end of this truck to get the Timbrens for it , but after posting this and reading the feedback, the choice was simple.

Especially considering they help save front end components

I ordered them from Stengel Bros. yesterday.. around 12:30..
    got an e-mail around 3pm saying they had shipped already !

ya'll's price was real close.... they were $151 and change shipped.

Again thanks for the push
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is a really good price,including shipping.Good luck with the truck. :D
  12. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

WOW Stengel Bros. ships orders fast!!

got them yesterday, installed them today, (took 40mins with a floorjack)

havent driven the truck yet except to settle the suspension.
    seems like they raised the front end mabey 1" or so.

will post update after i drive it and hang the plow on it tommorow to check it out. :D

now all i need is SNOW !!!