1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens with Torsion Keys?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EGLC, Aug 18, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Was wondering if any of you have done both or if its even possible? Planning to install it on the truck in my signature.

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

It's possible, but is redundant. The point of raising the torsion bars is so that the truck is at factory height with the plow up. The point of Timbrens is to keep the truck from squatting with the plow up. If you crank the torsion bars, and add Timbrens, you just wasted the money you spent on Timbrens because they won't be utilized.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's only a waste of money if you don't also shim the Timbrens down as needed once you raise the suspension height, which few installers do and yes thus making the Timbrens less effective.

One or two (depending on the height adjustment needed) large flat washers placed between the frame mount and the Timbrens will restore the effectiveness of the Timbrens allowing them to support the extra weight as intended.

4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

OK, GREAT!!! THANX for the info, another guy on lawnsite said same thing but I just wanted to check here. I know you guys use timbrens for plowing and lots of guys have torsion keys on their trucks......

5. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I have seen a ton of questions on Timbrens. Here is one thing I have not, do they change the ride of the truck? I know cranking the bars will, so how about the torsion keys, do they change the ride as well?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They can and do on some, just depends on where the ride height is set at on the truck and how much of the Timbrens actually contact the lower control arm at ride height. Which is also the reason you'll see some guys say they affect the ride and some say that they don't..because the truck heights and their loads are not all the same.

Same way with turning the bars, it depends on how much you turn them as to how much they will affect ride quality.

Replacement keys are no different than turning the bars, they simply give you more range of adjustment than that of the stock keys and adjuster bolts. In most cases they're a waste of money as there's normally enough adjustability with the stock keys. And if there isn't then the bars are undersized for the job which is often the case. A bar upgrade is money better spent than a set of aftermarket "lift keys".

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

what do you guys think of this paired with timbrens?? I want added hieght to put moto metal 18"s + some nitto grapplers but I still want timbrens because I like the idea of helping with loads on the truck.....

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I mentioned, add the height and shim the Timbrens down as needed.

What size tires are you looking to run? You can only gain so much height before running into other issues that will need addressed further. Such as the stock upper control arms and especially stock length shocks. In fact you'll run out of shock travel before you even max out the stock T-bar adjusters which will cause a rough ride and also pounds the dickens out of the upper shock bracket.

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Cognito uppers are a very wise idea and something I highly recommend. But just to clarify the kit in your link is ONLY the control arms. You still have to add height yourself by turning up your stock keys. What they will do though is allow you to completely max out the stock keys with no repercusssions of reducing the droop travel, which is the limiting factor with the stock control arms and stock shock lengths and is why you run the Congito control arms. And since you're not looking to run a huge tire (and like I mentioned before) you should be able to gain enough height with the stock keys with room to spare.

11. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I dont want to install anything myself and f*ckup....so if I drop off the rims, tires, cognitos, and timbrens a good truck shop should know what to do, or should I go to like a specailist.....sorry if I seem stupid but this is my first truck......

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most any reputable shop can install the control arms and Timbrens as they're simple...but I doubt even a "specialty" shop will bother, or even know how to correctly shim the TImbrens to get the most effect from them on a plow equipped truck. However you can re-shim them yourself after you receive the truck back and shoot a close up pic of the contact between the Timbrens and the lower control arms and I'll explain to you how to shim them correctly.

13. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

OK, thank you very much. You've been a HUGE help.....bwt whats your name? mines Jared

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My constituency calls me Mike but Grandview calls me sir. :D

Happy to help Jared. :waving: