1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens vs torsion bars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by supersteve1191, Sep 7, 2009.

1. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

I was wondering why so many people throw timbrens on their trucks instead of cranking up the torsion bars??

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I do both on my trucks. The problem with the t-bars is you have to realign the front wheels after you turn them back down. For future trucks, I am going to install airbags with the compressor. More expensive, but more convenient.

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The t-bars do keep the truck higher off the ground compared to timbrens.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

buy a ford and be done with it

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Lots of people do both.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know about that. I've installed my fare share of Timbrens and 6K front springs on the blue oval "sagger's" as well as they're not immune to the stink bug stance.

Nice thing about the GM's is that a T-bar adjustment is just that, you have adjustablility. 4 turns or so on the T-bars and a pair of Timbrens if you feel they're warranted and hang the plow of choice on it. If you don't care for the ride during the summer months then turn them back down.

Much less expensive than a new truck too.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

.....get a chiropractor.

I only turned the bars on my 97 GMC. Works plenty fine carrying my 8.5 XV. Timbrens are on my wishlist, I just need to stop breaking other stuff......

8. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Exactly. :D

9. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

i dont have a trailer to tow it though

10. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Use both one is free except alignment and other is a cheap fix, we run 9'2" Boss v's on our 2500hd's doing both with no issues some are 2003 now.

11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Just had timberns installed on my 2500. I'll see how i like them and if they were worth the $ once the snow starts fallin

12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Both is best. Tightening the T-bars will raise the truck and add tension to the springs, tightens the ride too. Timbrens keep the truck from bottoming out. When the plow is not on, you can't notice the Timbrens, they only activate as you add weight. Even with the T-bars cranked a bit, you can still bounce and bottom out the suspension. I have a few trucks and we just crank the springs a bit and put Timbrens in.

Thing is, you can buy a GM and add Timbrens for pretty cheap. Then you have a real truck.

You buy a Ford and you just wasted a whole bunch of money. You can't just turn that in to a real truck.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not quite, the tension on the T-bars is equal to the weight of the front "axle" Turning them does not change the tension, just changes the position. Kinda like putting a block under leaf springs.

The minimal ride change noticed by tightening T-bars is due to changing the geometry of the lower control arm.

I agree with your advice though!

14. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn Junior Member

I have a 2003 GMC 2500hd . I have never done either what should I do?

15. jhook

jhook Senior Member

You may not have to do anything. If your truck is riding fine, then no prob. If you are just carrying the plow in your sig (7.5 foot), then you probably don't need any adjustment. Unless you feel the truck bottom out.

I carry a Blizzard 810, weighs about 1,000 pounds. The truck won't even carry that without adjustment. So this is how we fix it.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Are you having problems? If you carry the equipment in the truck the ballast effect is helping considerably. Perhaps your dealer turned the T bars already when he installed, we do

17. I have had much success with ballast weight on my 91. The plow weighs about 700lbs and I use 500lbs behind the rear axle. IMHO its better than getting the truck aligned 2 times a year. It also makes the truck ride like a caddy.

18. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

As I was about to say, if you own a GM you HAVE to do both!

I better start looking for another Ford an get rid of my GMC......something tells me I am going to be getting alot of slack from the GM guys this year.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  19. RepoMan207

from Maine

With that big 8.1 I would be doing one or the other if not both. My only complaint with the Timbrens is it bounces alot more without the plow on.....I bought a GM because the ride is sooo much better then Ford.....not no more. It's not too bad after the frost heave season, but you'll notice the difference when your empty until then.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I haven't had an alignment in about two years now. Straight as an arrow. I agree with the ballast weight though. I have it irregardless for traction. I use my 4X4 alot less with it....I would say it saves on gas however I probably make up for it while toting that extra weight around during my day to day.