1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens Vs Light bar

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by AL THE MAN, Nov 22, 2009.

1. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Im putting together a truck and just wanted your guyz opinion if I should go with a light bar or a set of timbrens for the front of my truck...btw its a 2004.5 cummins 2500.

I would like a decent light bar, magnetic suction cup mount ( so it fits in the garage), and I heard great things about timbrens.... Limited funds, I could only buy one thing....what would you guys buy.

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I would ask what do you need first. The lightbar would provide notice to others when you are working in their area, Timbrens don't.

Think safety first, you can work on the ride quality later.

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

To totally different things your talking about. How does the truck sit with the plow on it? If it really needs the timbrens to keep from bottoming out in places then you better get them first. If the truck sits okay, then get a light bar.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i dont see the need for timbrens on the solid front ends as much as ifs so i would go with the lightbar. :drinkup:

5. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

The plow I got is a 7, 6 Standard duty, so the truck sits ok. I heard alot of good things about timbrens, specialy on this site in other posts.

I do have my eye on a few light kits, one being a magnetic cig outlet from northern tool....

[​IMG]

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Axle type has no impact on the need for Timbrens. Spring rate does, though.

7. sno commander

from ct

i knew a gm guy woudn't like that comment :jester: i meant to say the springs on the dodges are pretty stout and with only a 7.6 ft light duty i bet he doesn't drop more than an inch. :waving:

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I knew what you meant - but good clarification for someone "less knowledgeable" LOL :salute:

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You dont need the Timbrens with a small plow like that. If you had a big V plow then yeah you would probably NEED them.

As already stated, Safety first. Be sure to buy a strobe and not a rotator. If you mount a rotator on the roof the sound of it will drive you crazy. Just thinking about it reminds me of an old truck I use to plow with :dizzy:

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

How much are you looking to spend on a lightbar? I have a few that I can sell off.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the nice used light bar and a leveling kit. No need for the timbrens with that plow, even with my mega V and Cummins in the front it only drops an inch. Although the rear bumper goes up 2.5"!!! Alittle balast in the rear and you are good to go.

12. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

Thanks for the input, I was lookin at rotator (above)...but Ill have to look into getting a strobe.. I didnt even think about the constant humming...

Also, about the leveling kit, do you guys know if its an easy install, does it help alot...

13. sno commander

from ct

id skip the leveling kit, i wont stiffen the front end it will just be higher to start with so by the tme the truck sags youll be close to stock height. imo id just put about 700 lbs against the tailgate. i just use tube sand, it comes in 70 lb tubes and are easy to load / unload.

14. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Lightbar..

15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

PM me what you have to sell please, I'm in the market for one.

16. zeek

zeek Member

The leveling kit gives you the extra ground clearance up front and levels the truck out. Its a hour job for any do it yourself guy...and if you buy it off ebay its under 100 bucks.

And YES it does help....

Now a question.... why not hide-a-way strobes instead? Close to the same price...$180.00 for a whelen 4 corner kit, no clearance issues, and you don't need to worry about someone stealing them either.

17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Because they're just not effective as a primary warning device. They are great as a supplemental warning system, but it's still best practice to have some type of 360° beacon or lightbar.

18. AL THE MAN

AL THE MAN Member
    from Chicago

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

The 99.99 shipping charge seems a little much. I like that style of plug and mounting system. You can remove it in the not so nice areas so it doesn't go for a walk.

20. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine has a 2005 Dodge 4 door with a cummins and he runs a 8ft Blizzard and the trucks handles the plow just fine without Timbren's. I'm sure the 7.6 is a bit lighter so I would go with a light. BTW, if funds are that limited why not just get a cheap single strobe for a season or two. I dont know about you guys but after a couple hours of flashing lights I get sick of seeing them, plus you could have 10 lights flashing and the chance of people hitting you are about the same as if you just had a bright single strobe. I just saw at Jerre's a single ECCO strobe with suction/magnet mount for around 80 bucks and it was a larger strobe.