1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens VS Leveling kit

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, Nov 25, 2005.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have a 2001 F250 SD with a 7.3, I run a meyers 9 foot plow. My problem is I have no clearance. My question is if I put timbrens in it will be riding on them all the time Is that ok or should I add a leveling kit. The plow frame is only about 4 inches off the ground

2. timberjack

timberjack Member

I just put a set of Timbren boosters in my 95 this afternoon. The instructions stated they would probably be just touching the axle at rest unloaded, and they are. So riding on them fulltime should be no problem, that's what they are for. I took it for a spin after on the washboard road to the highway, and i couldn't tell the difference in ride from before. I haven't tried it with the plow yet though.

I would go with the timbrens, as a leveling kit will probably stiffen the ride when you aren't carrying the plow. I went through this with my 1/2 ton Chevy. I wanted a little better capacity in the rear springs, so i put in an add-a-leaf. It rides great with 25 - 5 gallon pails of hydraulic oil, but it's pretty teeth jarring the rest of the time. If i was to do it again, i'd try the timbrens, or even spring for an air bag system.

Ken

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I went with the leveling kit on my y2k 350 --It does ride a little stiffer on the hiway with no load --plow or payload in back. It drives like a dream with the blade on!!!! Think Snow:bluebounc

4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I have not noticed much of a difference with the leveling kit, I think the one I did was rated for a additional 600lbs, just about the weight of the western

I would rather level the truck and get the extra capacity then sit on a rubber bump stop, but thats just me, its a truck so who cares if the ride is a bit harsher.

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

First off I would get X springs for the truck, since the way your truck is sitting it must have the standard rate springs. Then after that I would get a leveling kit if you still need more height.

6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

leveling kit is alot cheaper, and easier to install then x-springs.
    it gives you more up front too.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

ditto what Team Yamaha said.