1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens VS. Firestone Air Bags

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jguck25, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I know there is a thread right in front of this one about timbrens, but I did not want to hi-jack it. But basically this winter I am thinking about adding one of these to the rear axle to help out the truck with the sander in the back.

I have been debating which of these two routes is better and honestly I am leaning towards the airbags. With the airbags you can add air to keep it exactly where you want it and it seems like it would be a better ride than just the hard timbrens.

I was just looking to hear what you guys have to say because i am sure there are plenty of people who have both. For the timbrens to kick in the truck has to drop quite a bit before it even gets the added support.
    I got a price of 350 for the timbrens and i can get the airbags for about a hundred less than that. (manual fitting to add air with air compressor)

Any input is appreciated :D

2. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

my personal opinion is to go with the bags i have had both and by far the bags are better i felt that they actually improved the ride of the truck

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bags. They are adjustable.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I installed bags on my truck 5 years ago, and love them. I can load the dump insert with salt and keep the truck level. I ran my lines to the rear bumper and drilled two holes in the bumper and stuck the values out of the hole and put crome caps on them. I air them up all the way in the fall, spring time drop them to around 20 PSI. Would not own a truck without them.

Mike

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have timbrens on the front airbags on the back of my 3500's. The airbags are plumbed with a small compressor individually controled from the cab with one gauge (2 needles.) Not expensive to set up and worth every penny.

6. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

i have air bags on the back of my truck w/ an onboard air compressor. works great! you can let the air out, have a good ride quality, then when you are hauling something heavy, air them up and it won't squat the truck at all. the only reason not to get airbags would be cost; but you said you got them cheaper. timbrens are just a large 'bumpstop' and will not do the same thing as the airbags. (don't get me wrong, i plan on running timbrens in the front of the truck). just a thought.

7. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Don't know about the bags but I did use timbrens for one season on the front. On my truck I didn't notice any difference from the stock bumpers which are pretty hefty. I took them out and went back to stock.
    Just my experience on my truck.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

9. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

Airbags. compressor, dual needle gauge, anti backflow valves, and dual dump valve. If you don't want to put all that together then you need to just run the 2 lines separate to the rear and manually fill and empty them. If you don't keep the air line separate, every time you corner air from bag one will be pushed into bag to helping the body to roll further. not fun when carrying 2500 lbs of salt.

10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member