1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens vs airshocks vs new springs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bill Shy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

hi I have a 97 wrangler with a unimount plow cutdown to 5 foot 10 inches and when i lift it the driveshaft hits the exhaust.new coil springs can be made to support the 500lbs but I like the ride when there is no plow on it,timbrens will take care of the rubbing problem but does not help the front end drop when the plow is lifted, air shocks seem like a good solution but are said to be unreliable..what have others experienced?

2. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I personally love the way air shocks ride, but dont last worth a damn in my experience. Debris gets up under the bags causing leaks or the fittings leak or they just plain rot out after a couple years. I put 3 sets in my 94 gmc 1500. Kept getting new ones under warranty is the only reason i did it. I would def recommend airbags from airlift or firestone. Ive had the firestones in my truck in my sig for bout 2 years now hauling a 15,000lb fifth wheel car hauler 1000 miles a week, plus off roading in mud and gravel, and plowing new england roads of course and I wouldnt trade them for anything. Best $200 investment ive made! Im thinking of timbrens for my truck in the front now but undecided. I havent done anything to it before so why start now? I dunno. The rear of my truck sits at stock height with 2 yds of salt plus tailgate spreader cuz of the airbags and the front drops about 1 1/2 inches with the plow lifted so its kinda annoying. But IMHO id go with the light duty bags in the front where its a solid front axle. Should solve all ur squatting issues. GoodLuck

3. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

thanks for the info, do the airlifts hold air or do you need an onboard air compressor?firestone doesnt list any front air bags but they do have compressors

4. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

i heard the air lines get knocked off by snow on air lifts

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Properly install air lines will survive.

Neither air lift nor Firestone make a front kit for a TJ.

air shocks, timbrens or different springs are your choices.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

They dont "make" air shocks for the front of jeeps ether.
    course they dont "make" a unimount that is 5' 10"

Ive used air shocks for years, you can rupture the bladders but autozone has a lifetime warrenty, and I think they are hands down better than Timbrins or air bags.

JMO

5 foot 10 inch is one narrow plow. Why?

7. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

city sidewalks,,works great for residential driveways off tight city alleys,,what brand are your shocks?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

it's even narrower angled, that's like 59/60 inches.

9. theplowmeister

from MA

Monroe and Gabriel both make air shocks.

10. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

that is about the width of a city sidewalk in south minneapolis

11. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

i couldnt find a 97 tj listing with either of those companies,i suppose i could modify something but i went with timbrens today

12. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

ok i went with timbrens, the off road company i am working with said air bags wont hold up, and i dont like a harsher ride so heavy duty springs was ruled out

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So I should take the set I installed on a TJ last week off? What about the YJ a did a couple weeks ago??

Dang Plowmeister they won't hold up.:eek: Guess you have been riding on faith all these years.:laughing::laughing:

14. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

what is the part number because i cant find them listed, particularily worked with Monroe,maybe i will contact monroe corporation

15. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

this is from snotech,i rest my case
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I can get you a set of Monroe Max-Air. They require slightly enlarging the bottom mounting holes. The jeep has 2 7/16” bolt centers while the shocks would be 2 ½” bolt centers. Open the holes to 3/8 instead of 5/16 add a washer and done. You may have to drill a hole in the shock tower to run the airline though but that again is no big deal. Monroe doesn’t list the application.
    ==============
    and i will order a set

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Correct they don't list them, doesn't mean they won't work. Manufacturers only support vehicles for around 10 years. After that the volume of sales doesn't justify the cost. Plowmeister has been using Airshocks forever. At one time Jeep had a part number of their own for air shocks you could get them right from jeep. I'm running a set of MAX-AIRs on a YJ wrangler, they are a ford truck rear application.

Snowtech (who is a pretty savvy dude:rolleyes:) explained how to make a set work. Notice you enlarge the holes in the shock (not the jeep) by 1/16" :eek: Drilling a hole thought the shock tower(if you search the site there is a picture) simply protects the airline and relieves tension on the lines and bladder.

17. theplowmeister

from MA

I cant say much about the off road shop if they OK ed the timbrens. The timbrens will reduce your axle articulation AND will ride rough, Lets think about this, the timbrins is a block of rubber that acts like a spring so every time the axle goes up (more than the axle-timbren gap) it hits the added spring (timbren) even without the plow.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Timbrens will do the job, wouldn't be my choice but vi'va la différence

But it will help with high speed cornering, kills a lot of body roll.

19. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

the snow plow guy at Park Jeep in Burnsville Mn , name is Don, said that jeep quit making the air shocks because they were alot of trouble,he recommends timbrens

20. Bill Shy

Bill Shy Junior Member

ok since it is just a "block of rubber" on the top what will make it ride rough?
    what is angle articulation?does this mean it wont steer quite as sharp or tight with timbrens?
    this from sdtrucksprings
    Features
    2,400 lbs. Level Load Capacity
    Reduces sag and sway
    Eliminate vehicle from bottoming out
    Perfect for handling heavy cargo loads
    Ride quality unaffected when not loaded[/COLOR]
    Sold as Pair (left and right)

LIFETIME WARRANTY
    Installation Instructions
    Instructions for Installing JFTJ Timbren Suspension Kit

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011