1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens troubles

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nathanlacourse, Oct 30, 2003.

1. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

I bought a set of timbrens for my chevy 2002 2500 HD ,went to put then in today with the front end off the ground. There was just not enough room to get the bolt to screw into the timbren or to be at the same angle of the timbren to tighten it up should I shave it down abit to make more room. I check the number to see if they are the right size timbren and they are.:(

2. whitetail

whitetail Junior Member

Make sure that you are raising the front end of the vehicle by the truck frame and not any of the suspension parts. I installed Timbrens on all four corners of my 2000 GMC 2500 hd in less than an hour. The front was tight but I held the timbren in with the wedge at the wrong angle and started the bolt. After the bolt was started I used a screwdriver to spin the wedge and turned the timbren to the proper angle. Then the bolt was started and it only had to be tightened.

3. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I did all corners of mine in about an hour as well. You can turn the front wheels to get better access to it also.

front timbrens.jpg

4. sbrennan007

The above pic has the full weight of the truck and plow on it.

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Why is your truck squating that bad to use the Timberans??

MY plow is heavier than yours and the front doesn't even move when I lift mine up. '97 Ram 2500 8½' Western pro plow.

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Heres a shot

dodge reg cab plow n v box.jpg

7. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

SGF, You have some ballast in your truck, so I'm sure that helps some.:waving:

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, I agree with sno-mover. Thats alot of ballast, even if it is empty. Besides, saying MY plow is heavier than yours sounds awfully childish, dont ya think? :D Mike

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Actually i'll bet the weight is not that much different. 8'poly pro vs 8.5 pro

10. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Just looked 12lbs >:eek:

11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Yeah I was thinking of my 7½' poly plow not the pro.

Even without the spreader in the back, the front doesn't move.

However the back does rise a little.

12. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

SGF

It looks like you could use a set on your dodge. The back has a lot more space than the front.

13. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I got plenty of travel left. as I recall, I don't think I have ever bottomed out the front with the plow up.

14. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

Also, Im not totally sure, but wouldnt a 97 dodge 2500 have a solid front axle where as the GM would have that lovely IFS? IFS holds the weight a lot worse than the SFA.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,the dodge would be a solid front axle.Still could benefit from the Timbrens though.

16. sbrennan007

Before the Timbrens..............

b4timbrens1.jpg

17. sbrennan007

After the Timbrens..........

timbrens2.jpg

18. sbrennan007

You also have a solid front axle and I have Torsion Bars. The Timbrens are a huge improvement.

19. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Added the boosters front and rear to both my 2001 2500HD 4X4 and my 2003 F-450 4X4 141" WB with a 9' dump. In both cases not much more than an hour for all four on each truck. Sure helps on the pick up, seeing how I am upgrading to a steel V box in the pick up I am sure there will be some improvement even empty 800lbs in the bed for five month can't be great for the springs. As for the dump I am thinking about only using them during the winter and removing them in the summer. Well, at least the fronts. Always can use the help in the rear reguardless. But I like this option better than adding springs which alot of guys do in an attempt to aviod getting stopped and taken to the scale. The ride empty with the extra springs has got to be hard on the old body. Anyway just my 2cents.

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Put Timbrens in my'02 HD Sat.They were a little snug getting in.I took the tires off for more elbow room though it isn't necessary.Had to angle them to get bolt started.A drift punch helped align the holes.Found that a couple of pieces of masking tape tying the wedge,washer and bumper together helped when putting them in cause of the angle to get bolt started.Taped the bolt to the socket on an extension and it was easy to get everything cinched up.Minor inconvenience but overall an easy installation.Cranked the bars 3 turns and the truck sits nice and level.Also put 265 snows all around on steelies so I'm all set for my new Fisher Vee when it comes next week.Give me 2 weeks,Mother Nature and I'll be all ready for you.