1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pallison74, May 28, 2003.

1. pallison74

pallison74 Junior Member

Hey Everyone.

I am new to the site, and this is my first posting. I just bought a 99 Silverado 1500 4X4 Z71 in order to plow with it as well as drive daily. I was just under my truck replacing the shocks with the Rancho RS9000X (these are awesome by the way) When I noticed what looked like Timbrens in the front and rear. They are orange and have a bunch of numbers and then the letters BASF

Are these Timbrens, or some other brand of load boosters, or are they just the factory ones that come on the truck.

Thanks for your time.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

sounds like something else,my timbrems are black and say nothing on them check there site to see www.timbren.com

If you have them they work great.

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Bump Stops

No, those are just the factory bump stops. They are a little bit heavier on Z71 packages then the ones that come on the standard suspension trucks. :rolleyes: John....

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

Garagekeeper is right,they are just the factory bumpstops.It wouldn't hurt to put a set of Timbrens in that truck,as they will really help keep the front end up,and the steering geometry correct.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Guys, I know this thread is kind of old, but wanted to learn more about Timbrens. I am considering getting them for my truck for next season and wanted to ask a few quick questions. They take the place of the factory rubbers, correct? Im pretty sure they do, so that may be a dumb question. What Im also interested in knowing is with the plow OFF and the Timbrens installed, with the truck just parked on flat ground, will the Timbrens already be making contact or does that depend on if the torsion bars were turned up at all or not? What Im getting at is, if they are infact already touching with the truck just sitting there, wont the truck give a horrible ride on the highway hitting bumps? It would be like riding around with no front shocks. If Im wrong, please correct me. I really wanna get them for next season, but I dont wanna ruin the good ride I have now, making it bouncy. I know that with the plow ON and RAISED, they are gonna make contact, which is what they are there for and thats fine. Im concerned with the plow off, is the truck gonna ride any different. Mike

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens are an excellent product.They do take the place of the factory bumpstops,and are easy to replace.

They will affect ride quality some,and it is different for every truck.It will depend on the type of truck,spring rate,shock quality and dampning and weight on the vehicle.The rubber is hollow and compressable,with a variable rate,so they don't get harsh until you need them to be,when the suspension is near to be bottoming out.

On most of the GM's,they do make contact all of the time,but they shouldn't be too harsh.If it's a concern when running unloaded in the summer,you can swap the factory bumpstops back in for the summer.

Another option is to see if you could borrow a set from a nearby member,to try them out for a bit.

If you really don't like them,you can always take them back out and resell them in the classifieds.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Wyldman, thanks for the reply. The truck in question is my 92 Chevy listed in my signature. I dont use the truck for landscaping or anything, just to pick up and drop off parts for work and its my everyday vehicle as well as my plow baby for winter. The shocks in the trucK are all new AC Delco. I just want them for the front, I barely ever put anything in the back, I mean anything big that actually makes the backend sag. I did adjust the torsion bars very little before last winter, just a couple turns to make the truck look a little more level from front to back and sit level left to right. Mike

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be fine with the Timbrens.I think once you see how well the truck works with them on,and when plowing,you'll wonder why you waited so long.I find most GM's with a plow seem to really strain under the weight.With the Timbrens they feel a lot more solid.They really shine when piling or stacking snow,as it keeps the front end up,and all the front end components and halfshafts are kept in line.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Sounds good. I wonder how much they are for the front? I went on the Timbren web site but they dont list any prices or anything, just vehicle applications and part numbers. Is there just one kind of Timbren? What I mean is, do they make cheap ones and better ones, or different colors for different weight ratings or something? Do any of the Supporting Vendors on PlowSite sell them? I will definitely have to get them before next winter. Mike

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

They will stiffen up the ride, in my case it was desirable. By stiffening the ride, the handling improved. Like wyldman said, they are designed to be in constant contact with the suspension, but they don't make the ride bouncy, just stiffer.

On my F-350, they took about 10 minutes a side with an air gun, including jacking and removing the wheel. I'd imagine the same to reverse the installation. A hint: When jacking, use the frame or a crossmember for the jacking point, the suspension needs to be extended for installation.

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I love my set I really never noticed any difference in the ride on my truck.But they do work well .

12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Usually a set of Timbren front load boosters would run around $150. As far as I know of there are two different kinds of them for front end. One kind is designed for 1/2 through 1 ton truck, and other kind is for bigger truck like F450-F550 as listed on AWDirect catalog.

There is a sponsor on this site that do sell them.

RPM Sales & Services Equipment Sale Forum

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Steve, are you going to install them on your HD? You may need them also if you plan on going with the 8.5' Fisher V plow. I am definitely gonna get them in the future, got nothing to lose by giving them a shot. Mike

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Of course, I will be getting a set of Timbren for my truck. I have been planning on installing it since I bought my truck. But I need to get the Fisher V plow first, right Mike? ;) :D

15. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

My first plow truck was an 89 bronco and of course it couldnt handle the weight of the plow . A set of timbrens like stops were installed it did keep the front end up BUT as the truck rested on them ANY decent pothole Slammed the truck with a teeth/bone jarring hit . .I hope timbrens are better

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

See, thats what Im afraid of. I dont wanna ruin the ride I have now or make the truck annoying to drive. I dont wanna compromise one area to improve another, but I guess thats out of the question? Another thing that comes to my head. If they are gonna be making contact with the plow off, is the truck gonna sit higher in the front, making it look like its pulling a wheelie? Or will it sit the same way it is right now, normal? These may be stupid questions, but I just wanna know all I can before I get them, not cause of how much they are, just dont wanna get them and not like them. Mike

17. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Quality of Ride

Mike I have installed "dozens" of Timbren Load Boosters on Chevy trucks. All I ever hear after the install is praise for the way the truck rides and handles, and that's with even the heavier type units. If you would like any other info you can e-mail me.
    :rolleyes: John

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mike,I understand your concern,but don't worry.I wouldn't recommend them if they didn't work.

If you install them and don't like the performance,then I'll buy them back from you.

19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

In most cases, yes.
    No.
    Yes.

Stop being so fraidy scared!:eek:

20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

LOL Pelican. :D How can I lose, GarageKeeper swears by them and Wyldman says he will buy them from me if I hate them. :D What a country we live in. :drinkup: Ok, Im sold on them and done with the questions, thanks alot guys for all the info and taking the time to answer my questions. Mike :)