1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mg1826, Dec 27, 2007.

1. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD ext cab with an 8ft MMII and it sags with the plow in the up position. Should I have Timbrens installed? or crank up the torsion bars. Is it easy to crank up the torsion bars myself? Who can install in the RI/MA area?
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Firestone makes a level-rite kit for the 00-07 Sierra/Silverados. It basically has a reversible air spring and a heavy duty bilstein shock in it. They look pretty cool and you can add more psi to them to level the front out. I may get a set for mine when I upgrade to a bigger plow. They are 499.99 at summit racing. And yes you can crank the t-bars yourself, I beleive it is a 3/4 inch head on the bolt. Dont go more than 3-4 turns. Timbrens are also a good thing too.
  3. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

tim's are great...but for ur truck im not sure there gonna make a "huge" difference if ur worried about the sagging. They dont really help ur truck from sag", but rather from bottoming out. The tim's are gonna cost you near 200...for the extra 300 i think Sydenstriker has got the right idea.
  4. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

If you want the air shocks you can get them on Ebay for about 375 or something. I know a few guys on another site and they got together, ordered 3 sets and got them for 325 shipped!!
  5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I'm not sure the weight difference from my 7.5ft Curtis to your 8ft MMII but I have almost the idential truck (Chevy). I installed the Timberens today. First of all, my front end barely moved without them, (I have the T-Bars cranked 4 turns), and after installing the Tims the truck goes down about 3/4 of an inch with the plow raised. I think it was worth the $160 i paid, plus, gave me an excuse to get under there and grease everything while I was at it.. They'll probably help you out more than they helped me seeing as though your plow is bigger..
  6. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Just wondering if you guys could give me a quick step by step for cranking up the torsion bars. Is it just a bolt that needs to be turned? Where exactly is it and which way does it need to be turned? I'm assuming I would need to get a front end alignment as well right? Thanks for the help..
  7. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

crawl under your truck and right about under your drivers seat you'll find a bolthead staring you in the face.. its tough to find if you aren't sure at first, but it's there

I have a 2007 duramax, turned the bars 4 or 5 times.. It sits better, haven't had to get an alignment- it seems fine.

Just do it on level ground and I jacked each side up so it's easier to turn. Measure each side of your truck when you are done to be sure it's level. You may have to turn one side more than the other. You'll be happy with the results..

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

something else to try....... I used a impact gun when doing mine and drew a chalkline on the socket so that I know I did the both EXACTLY the same amount... just my two cents.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That right there is a good way to break the adjuster bolt off in the bolt cross plate...definitely not a good idea.

If you break the bolt off it makes it a real bear to get the tension off the bar in order to it disassemble it to fix the problem, believe me..

The adjuster bolts are somewhat soft and will break off...:nod:
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are best to take the weight off the front end with a floor jack. It is a good idea to put some sort of mark on the socket so you can count the turns. I used a sharpe. With the weight off the front end they are easy to turn.