1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or Tranny Cooler For My Needs??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ilhmt, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I have recently purchased a used 7 1/2' Western Plow with the Unimount, but have not yet installed it. I plan on using it on my 95' Dodge 1500 4x4. The only plowing I will be doing with it are a handful of driveways, about an average of 4 hours per decent snowfall. I really don't care if the front end sags a little while I'm plowing. Is there any reason I would NEED to fortify my front end or install a tranny cooler given my limited amount of plowing? Thanks in advance for any replies...

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have a factory external trans cooler you should be OK.If not,I'd add one.Plowing creates a lot of heat in the trans,and if you don't keep it cool,it won't last.Trannies are expensive.

The Timbrens are dirt cheap,less than $160.00.They will help the truck deal with the extra weight of the plow,and save some wear and tear on the front end.$160.00 is a lot cheaper than replacing springs,or front end components.

4 hrs is still a decent amount of use per storm.If you were just using it for 10 mins to open up your own single car 20" long driveway,then you could probably squeek by without any modifications.

3. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Thanks Wyldman for your reply. I only have, it looks like, two lines that run from my tranny. One goes to the top of the radiator and one to the bottom, both on the passenger side. Is that sufficient? How about coil spring spacers instead of Timbrens? As you can tell, I'm trying to go as cheap as possible here but want to make sure I don't tear my truck up either.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The little radiator cooler isn't enough for pushing snow.Get an external cooler and mount it in front of the rad.They don't cost too much.The Timbrens can be had cheap too,there have been some recent post in the $130.00 range.Both items should be less than $200.00.That's pretty cheap to protect your truck.

5. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Ok. Thank you Wyldman. Putting it that way $200 would be pretty cheap insurance.