1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or New Coils ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Filer, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

I live up here in Canada and I have a 2001 Dodge ext. cab 4x4 1/2 ton. I put a new BOSS 7.5 strait blade on it and want to suport my front end a bit for when the plow is on it & in the up position.

I did my reading in here and decided to order some timbrens.

The place I ordered them from tells me everyone just puts on new coils & in all the years of doing front ends for snow plow trucks he has only sold one set of timbrens.

What do you's recomend is the better of the two ??

Timbrens or Coils

This isn't my main transportation but also don't want to make my truck ride rougher when the plow is off so this is a factor to consider please when posting a reply.

Thanx Filer
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

TIMBERNS you can put air bags in the springs
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

First. What is the weight of the plow? For a half ton it should be in the 550 lb. range. If it is much heavier you are going to ruin the entire front end regardless of which way you go. You cannot make a 3/4 ton out of a 1/2 ton. If it is in the 550 lb. range I prefer to put heavier coils on. Center shocks prevent using air bags which would be my first choice.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can build the front end i did on my dakota
  5. Bolts Indus.

Anything is possible but I think he is trying for a reasonable solution. Money wise. I just went to Boss website and they don't even recommend a plow for that truck. If a dealer sold it to you he went against the factory's recommendation, and you may have a case for returning it and then get one more suited to your vehicle. It's in the dealers best interest to match the truck with the right plow because the customer will not be happy when his truck is worn out. The weight is 656 lb. projected 48" in front of the axle this works out to close to 850 lb. Heavy duty is 756lb. Both in my opinion are too heavy. Recommend a lighter plow or trade up to a 3/4 ton.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  6. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

7'6" Standard-Duty is the plow I purchaced Bolts Indus. I told them what it was going on as they needed to know to be able to sell me the proper mounting bracket for the truck.

- Why would BOSS make a mount for this plow/truck if it wasn't made to handle it ?? ............... am I missing something here ??

If this plow is too heavy for my truck then I need to contact the BOSS Company directly I would say.

Please more advice is appreciated Bolts Indus or any others.

Thanx Filer

Also still want to know about my front end support question.
  7. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

F#ck ........... I just went to the BOSS web site and did the following ;

Dodge does not recommend putting a snowplow on this vehicle.

Truck Specifications
    Year 2001
    Make Dodge
    Model 1500
    Drive 4 Wheel Drive
    Cab Quad
    Bed *
    Wheel Base *
    Rear Wheel *
    Engine *
    No Applications Recommended

"NOW WHAT DO I DO" ??????????? ............. or is that just a Dodge recommendation ??
  8. Bolts Indus.

I would talk to your Dodge dealer and then Boss at the factory. Again the dealer should know about his product,it's his website. I believe you have center mount shocks so that leaves airbags out.
    I would if I was keeping the plow go to new stiffer coils.

My guess on the undercarriage is that it fits a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Sorry I am the bearer of bad news.
  9. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Front Axel Rating

Find Out what front axel your truck has, as Dodge has a number of rated ones they use on there trucks 1500 and 2500 both sometimes carry close to the same ratings on the front. Depending on the motor that you have and what pakage was specified during puchasing.
  10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

throw a set of timbrens or 2500 coils on it and you will be fine, I plowed with a 98 ram 1500 with a 8' hd fisher for 2 seasons, other then trying to keep a tranny in it she was just fine.
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I am sure that 1500/2500/3500 would all use the same mounting hardware, that's why, even if it is not recommended for your truck, it would still be possible.

I personally have a bad feeling about putting a plow on anything without a solid front axle, but clearly, it has been done with success all the time.

12. Bolts Indus.

I do not know all the details of your purchase but if it is as it seems then you have a good case to return it and get one that is RIGHT for your vehicle. The dealer who trusts his salesman with the sale would not want you bad mouthing his business. Give him a chance to make it RIGHT.