1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or Monroe Muscles? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DuramaxPowered, Nov 27, 2008.

1. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Which one of these load boosters are a better product? Putting them on a chevy. Thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Just my two cents.... I have never heard of Monroe Muscles, but Timbrens I hear about all the time.

Not to mention that I typed Monroe Muscles into Google and the only thing that came up was a F-150 site.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

pretty much everyone on here uses Timbrens. I've never heard of monroe muscles. I have Timbrens on my truck and I recomend them.

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

exact same thing. even use the same part number cross reference. most likely made for Monroe by the same factory, just relabeled. I was going to buy some, theres a guy on ebay selling them cheap because I think Monroe is getting out of it. Probably wasn't a big enough seller to be worthwhile for them. The guy selling them only has limited inventory left, which is why I think they're discontinued.

I looked them over and couldn't see a bit of difference. I know everyone here says you get what you pay for so you should always spend the moeny to avoid cheap stuff, but in this case it's a hunk of rubber. I'm pretty sure Monroes hunk of rubber bolted to the control arm will do the same thing as Timbrens. Especially since rather than invent their own version of an existing part, it's easier and cheaper to buy into an existing patent or buy directly from Timbren and relabel. That's how Walmart sells all their store brand stuff. And they're only cheaper because they are discontinued.

5. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Thats for sure , I looked at them and all your doing is paying for the Timbren name. I still can't force myself to buy them, don't know if they are that much of a difference. Need to see some before and after pics with a plow on.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

boosters

:salute:monroe hasn't made them for about two years ! buy the timbrens they work ,they have a lifetime warranty .

7. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

Yes i saw the guy on ebay selling them cheap. That is the part# that i need actually. I should buy them. Just checking out to make sure they are as good as timbrens. I need a set bad.

8. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I actually just ordered a set of front monroes tonight. I figured for $130 shipped that is a great deal. I have timbrens on my other truck now and they work great also.

9. msryan

msryan Junior Member

I ordered that same set last week. I recieved them today and just installed them. I did not take before and after pics. It took about half an hour to install them.

I noticed the front sits a bit higher unloaded. I put the plow on and there is a noticable difference. I'm glad I saved $100 and bought from that guy.

I had 305's on my truck and had the torsion bars cranked way up last year. This year I put in new inner and outer tie rods, pitman, idler, idler bracket, sway bar links, 1 cv shaft, and another wheel bearing. Back to 245's for me. I have 125k on the truck now and want it to last. The truck sure looked good with the larger tires, but wears parts easy. I guess "it ain't cheap to be cool."

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get the timbrens. I had one break this year and I called and 3 days later I had a brand new replacement. Cant beat that now can you. If they dont make them anymore then they most likely wont have a warranty. something to think about....

11. kakygp

kakygp Junior Member
    from Indiana

Best product for snowplowing is Firestone air over shocks, awesome product that makes our trucks forget they have a plow on.

12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have airbags on my rear, but I thought of the front but did not want to spend that kind of money. Maybe when I am rich all my trucks will have them.

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

how the hell do you break a Timbren? I thought I was hard on my truck!

14. DuramaxPowered

DuramaxPowered Member

I got my monroe muscles in the mail today and installed them right away. Was a very simple job. These are a excellent product. I sure am glad i run across these on ebay. $130 shipped was a steal! They are a bit different then my timbrens but similar. All and all i am happy.