1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or extra leaf springs ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dieselman19, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

i have a 2000 F-350 diesel and i want to do something to the front end, i a 9 foot, plus wings, making it 10 foot western pro plus plow and i need to do something to make the front end stronger, what would you suggest, adding a leaf spring to the front end or adding Timbrens?

Thanks
    Bob

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I had timbrens in my old truck, a 2000 dodge ctd they worked great however they did stiffen the ride alot. I was told that the leveling kits for the diesel trucks are the way to go now, and you still get the factory ride. So I put one in my new truck 2005 dodge ctd and they work very good.

3. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

do you have any information about the "leveling kits" for the diesels?

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well as I just found out, it turns out for the ford trucks the leveling kit is add-a-leafs. Where as the dodge its a hard rubber doughnut, so I would say go with the add-a-leafs

5. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

it sounds like the weight you are going to add . go to a good spring place and add one leaf to the front for about 275.00 . it will leaver out the truck. if you don't feel like it ,then go will the timbers they will work too.but the spring is better.there are two place here in buffalo that do that.

6. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I would think adding springs would make the ride stiffer when the plow is not on, which is most of the time. My Chevy has torsion bars and I could not get stiffer or heavier duty ones and went with Timbrens. I am very happy with the Timbrens as the only work when the plow is on they have no effect when plow is off. Now I am dealing with a S10 and 6 1/2 western, small compared to your rig. My truck would sag 3 + inches with plow raised, with Timbrens its 1" and ride with plow greatly improved.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Diesel,

I had a 2003 with Timbrens, they worked great, so easy to install that I took them out during the summer cause they do give a stiffer ride. I would highly recommend those vs. spring enhancement, I'm all for the easy and practical way out.

Just my 02. cents.