1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens or Air Lifts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by old skool, Jan 7, 2008.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Hi all,
    Looks like a great site! .....Im a first time poster...altho,Ive been plowing for over 30 years.

For the past 15 years Ive had a 9' Meyer mounted on a 1980, K30 ,454, 400/205, dually, and loved the set-up. However , with over 400,000 miles on the chassis, she's just plain getting tired.

I just bought a '97 Chevy K3500 single wheel pickup with an old Western 7 1/2' plow from a neighbor that he just used to plow his drive. Im trying to get used to the "whimpy" feel of the "new" truck. I would like to put a larger plow on ...maybe even the 9 footer from the 80? It has 9200 lb torsion bars , that I understand can be cranked up a little.

I do plan to install some kind of front helpers , has anyone used the Air Lift brand air cells up front? I see a lot of disscusion on the timbrens.... but not much on the A.Lifts? Anyone used these?
    Thanks in advance for your help! Steve

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Most use the timbrens as there are no lines or blags to let go. Just install and forget. Best way IMO

3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thanks for the input Streetfrog,
    The Air Lifts do not have air lines either. they are a closed cell "bag" that replaces the bump stop.

I do see the timbrens have a lifetime warranty , where the air lifts are only a year...

Only reason I started looking at the A.L.'s is I can get a good deal on them thru a friend, but Im more concerned with quality/longevity.

4. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Old Skool,

Go with timbrens and forget about it. Where exactly are you located in Illinois?

Dan