1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbren's or air bags?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by getmydrift, Nov 2, 2006.

1. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

looking for some advice, I have an F350, with a western mvp, 8'6", I also sometimes pull a trailer with a Bobcat, looking for something to help with weight and stability.I read that some of you guys use timbrens and love them. are they better than airbags, or just less to go wrong. thanks
  2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Some people have problems with airbags going bad. They can be expensive to replace. Timbrens have a long life span and are less expensive. I would go the route of timbrens personally.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Both! With air bags you either have to keep adjusting them when you have a load then deflating them unloaded. Timbern's just work when you reach that point when the suspension sags. Timbern's never need adjusted and no fooling around with inflating or deflating the pressure, in order to inflate with minimal "fooling around" you have to get an air compresser and they run about $300 just for the compresser. Timbren's are probably 1/3 of the cost vs. air bags.
  4. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I have an F350 SRW an use timbrens. I think they are very helpful when I have the plow on a full Vbox of salt. I also have them on our Ram 3500 dump (front end only) to help support the weight of the Fisher plow. In my opinion, Timbrens work well and require no maintenance and are very easy to install.
  5. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

I guess it all depends upon the application. I have timbrens and I also have airbags. The airbags are on my 05 HD which has a v-box. The airbags are impressive when the truck is loaded up. The ride quality loaded is a little rough but I think it rides better then timbrens. I also a pull a landscape trailer and a skid steer trailer with the same truck with literally no rear sag.
    I have timbrens on the front of my Jeep and they help out the front end sag greatly. In the off season it's my transport vehicle mostly but you hardly notice a difference until you hit a huge bump or pothole. I just picked up a Mits Fuso and I'll determine if I need some front end assistance in a couple of weeks when I mount my plow.
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have timbrens on my dodge but i am thinking about changeing to air bags.