1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens or air bags ??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geary44, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

so the question is as the title says should i get a set of timbrens or air bags for the rear of my truck ? i use the truck to haul firewood, tow a 16' landscaping trailer thats loaded with either my mowing equipment or firewood. i also tow a car hauler and not to mention my salt for my spreader . so what do you guys think ?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I think we need to know what kind of truck you have!

3. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

2008 dodge ram 1500 quad cab hemi 4x4 short bed with towng package

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have Timbrens up front, AirLift bags in the rear. I vote for the bags.

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I vote for a bigger truck....

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I'm not old enough to vote until Sunday! But if I could vote now I'd vote for a ford!

7. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

:laughing: yea that

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Honestly, some of these guys are right. WIth the work you described, it sounds like you should have a 3/4 ton. But let's assume you're not independently wealthy like most of us and can't go buy a new truck.......
    I'd vote for air bags with all the hauling you're doing. They are nice and it sounds like you're all set wit spending a little more for the air bag setup.
    But ya, next time go for a 3/4 ton. And FWIW, I love my Dodge!

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I didnt say anything about new. I sure as S**t don't buy new. paid 7k for my last truck. 3/4 will have the suspension and the brakes he needs.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree but he asked for an opinion on timbrens and air bags
    ;)

11. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Go airbags, lets you adjust ride height if needed.

12. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

im not really sure how to use the airbags ? do u leave them full all the time ? or depending on what your hauling do you have to adjust them ? what about when your not hauling anything and the bags are full will the truck ride rough ?

13. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

the timbrens seem easier just because i wouldnt have to adjust them

14. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

They are simple to use, you can get an onboard compressor or just fill up from another air source with a tire chuck. I leave the bags on my truck at about 30psi all the time, but you can go less or more, and yes depending on what your hauling you can adjust them if need be to get the truck to set more level. Then when you unload you can let some air out to settle the truck back down. Depending on how much air you keep in the bags will determine the level of rough ride.

15. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

if you dont get the onboard air compressor do you have to fill each air bag seperatley or do they have only one valve stem and you fill them both up at once ?