1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens on yukon

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ken119, Nov 18, 2006.

1. ken119

ken119 Junior Member

I just installed my timbrens on my 97 gmc yukon. The "timbrens" were about the same size as the original parts. I took the measement from the bumper and there was no change between the original parts and the timbrens. I cranked up the torsion bars a total of 9 turns, 4 after the timbrens, and it seems to carry the plow better. Maybe its just me trying to justify $200 for 2 pieces of rubber(someone is making alot of money on these things) Was it worth it? I am very skeptical. I am thinking it would have been just fine cranking the torsion bars a total of 9 turns.
  2. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I would not cranking my T-bars 9 turns.
    What does your truck ride like, without the plow?
    How much did it lift the front end without the plow?
    how much does it drop when you pick up the plow?

IMHO, I think your really ask for trouble.
    I would suggest ordering your new MOOG upper and lower
    ball joints now, before they pop out.
  3. ken119

ken119 Junior Member

The truck seems to ride normal without the plow. The torsion bars cranked at 9 turns brought it up about 1 inch or maybe 2. The front end drops 2.5 inches when the plow is raised. As for the ball joints, I am going out to the garage right now to turn the bars back 4 turns. The bars will be at a total of 5 turns from the stock position, will this be ok? I am going to put 10 fifty pound sacks of sand in the back, Hopefully this clears it up. As for the timbrens, I will take it down the road and if the truck and plow are stable, I guess they are doing there job so I better leave them on.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

The Timbrens do not affect the stock ride height. They simply do not compress like the stock bump stops. Therefore they don't allow your truck to drop as much when the plow is raised. Turning up the bars 9 turns is a no no. I know lots of guys do it but you will see increased where on your front end componets and your truck will ride like a lumber wagon. A few turns is fine but anything more than that you are asking for trouble. Been there done that. I asume your Yukon is a half ton model, right? What brand and size of plow are you mounting?
  5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I put 2 full turns on my 1500 ext. and it only drops 1/2", when I lift up my heavy blade.
    I think mine 7-1/2" Hiniker is one of the heavist they make in that size straight blade, it say's it 732lbs.
    I wonder if your t-bar are worn out.
  6. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

9 tuns on his truck may not be that much it depends on what they were set at from the factory. If it sits level with the plow off it should be fine

MRUSSELL Member

I own a 97 yukon 4 door and also own a auto repair shop i have looked at many yukons when they come into the shop for service and all the ones that i have seen seem to set on the factory bump stops already , so i am not sure timbrens are the answer for the yukon, some chevy 1/2 ton trucks also set on the original stops and some of them do not i have talked to the dealers about why this is and they have never been able to give me an answer of why this is, I even thought about replacing the torsion bars with a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton guess what gm only makes 2 different bars and the only difference is on set is longer than the other , i even replaced mine with that longer set didn't make a difference, the only thing i can think of is add a bunch of rear ballast i use 15 0r more 50 lb. bags of salt helps alot but still not good enough for my liking.
  8. scaper27

scaper27 Member

I know the timbrens helped my 99 alot and it really doesn't even move with the 8ft western. I would keep the t-bars at 5 turns from stock and thats it