1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens on non-plow truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ZR2DK, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

What would timbrens do on a truck without a plow? Does it offer a more stable ride? are timbrens taller than the factory bump stops? If the factory version doesnt touch, would timbrens? Thanks. Much appreciated.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Timbrens aren't just for plow trucks,they will help on any truck.They will improve handling,and prevent bottoming.

The reason the factory version doesn't touch the control arm is they aren't supposed to.They aren't a load booster,they are a bumpstop,and only make contact when the suspension bottoms out.The Timbrens,on most GM IFS systems are in contact all the time,and are designed to work this way.

3. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

Perfect. Thanks for the info. I notice when cornering, my truck feels like its going to tip a lot. Shocks are new...so I dont think theyre the culpret. Hopefully the timbrens will help. Also, would these add ANY front end lift to the truck? Thanks.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You might see a small amount of lift unloaded,but not much.It would be hard to spot without a tape measure.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I put a set on my 4x4 2500hd 03 reg cab chevy duramax. They didnt really seem to affect the ride, still rides nice. The factory bumpstops ussually contact, duno what your deal is....you crank the t bars?

For what you are describing i would check your tire pressure and if you got a newer chevy get rid of the crappy stock shocks and get some bilstens or maybe some ranch 9000's I prefer the bilstens and will be geting some for my truck one of these days :rolleyes:

I didnt notice any lift in the front with the timbrens.

6. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

with that much weight on your front end, I would expect your factory bumpstops to touch. your duramax is a lot heavier than my 4.3. I havent touched the t-bars as it will throw my truck out of alignment (ZR2's are very sensitive to the t-bar cranking and then not being aligned) and I dont really want to throw another $60 at the alignment shop. Also, I do have new shocks as I stated in my last post. New tires too, all aired up perfectly. I dont know what the problem is either, but to tell you the truth, the bad cornering is the least of my problems with this truck at the moment. Take it easy. thanks for all the help.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I didnt relize what kinda truck you had, i dont know much about the newer s10's.

Even the 97 1/2 ton with a 350 touched em. Torsion bars have no progressive rate to em. The bump stops are basicly like factory timbrens in design to help the torsion bars out.

Good luck with your truck. Sounds like you have some issues. I havent ridden in a new zr2 to know how they handle or are supposed to handle but I can tell you that my truck handles the road very well and will take corners faster than a 1 ton pick up should :eek: But I wouldnt think massive body lean is a factory option on a zr2. Maybe some jokester lifted your swaybar.

Hope you get stuff straightened out.

8. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

i really think i have suspension issues. when i pull into the parking deck at school...the front left tire touches the "curb" first and there is this AWFUL grinding noise. just had both front wheel bearings replaced under warranty. im thinking its a balljoint. these things supposedly eat up balljoints like crazy. Ive only been through one set though. We'll see.