1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens on new truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Going Commercial, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

I just bought a new GMC regular cab plow truck (2009). I am going to install a new MVP 8and half plow next week and I wanted to know if I should put Timbrens on it? The dealer said they install only about 3 sets of Timbrens a year out of about 500 plows they sell.

I put Timbrens on my 2005 truck when I put the same MVP Plow on last year so I do not know how the trucks are without them. For the guys who put plows on 1st and then added timbrens, do you really see the difference??? THANK YOU

2. piperpm

piperpm Member

I'm running Timbrens on my truck and it made a world of difference...allowed me to run with a strong plow (7.5' Air Flo) vs. throwing a flimsy Sno-Way or the like on it. Highly reccommend. tymusic

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Anything under 8' is just a toy...... :D

4. piperpm

piperpm Member

Yes, certainly not in the big leagues of plowing here... we do residential, country lanes and small commercial but the 7.5' suits well...very impressed with the quality and workmanship put into the Air-Flo plows

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you say a flimsy Snowway? There plows are just a strong and some alot stronger the the others. And I run Blizzards, so no bias here.

6. piperpm

piperpm Member

I'm not sold on the plastic (which seemed very thin - at least the model I looked at) with the "down-pressure" system - Plus, they wanted $6000+ installed when I got a carbon steel Air Flo with good weight and much stronger construction for $5300 installed

7. Triple L

from Canada

Noway is $h!t........... I had a mega rev last year... broke every storm... total POS... thats why im running a red blade this year....

8. piperpm

piperpm Member

Good to see a local member here tymusic
    ...and you've now confirmed my gut instinct on NOT going with the Sno-Way
    Cheers and have a good season

9. Triple L

from Canada

ya buddy you to.... Just put the salters on yesterday... good thing we didnt have to use em tho...

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

EXACTLY--I ran a 8' Snoway for about 4 years.It was a fantastic plow with the down pressure feature.Too many people are afraid of the lexan moldboard and they shouldn't be as it's extremely durable.I would have got their V plow when I needed something bigger/better,but my jerk dealer couldn't get one.Not sorry though on my 9-2 Boss.

11. Going Commercial

Going Commercial Member

Any chance that this thread could talk about TIMBRENS ?

12. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I couldn't agree more. I got the same truck and wondering if I will need them after I install my plow.

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I run them in all of my trucks, which are mostly Chevys. They make a difference... take a lot of the sag out, and prevent a lot of the bouncing on rough roads, railroad tracks, etc. You can buy them for less than $200.00, and they're fairly easy to install yourself. Worth the money in my opinion.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I put them on my 2009 last week. I would install them for sure. Mine weren't that easy to get in for some reason. I took the tires off but on the passenger side I had to take the bottom bolt out of the shock. Not a big deal. I turned the torsion bars 4 turns also.

I'm also going to weld in the gussets that B&B talks about all the time. Better safe then sorry.

I am running an 810 Blizzard on this truck.

15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

They are drifting off the subject........:rolleyes:

16. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 8' Straight blade without them. I got the V a year later and put them on. I did plow with the V without the Tims and there is definitely a difference with them. They do make a better ride with the blade on the truck, less bouncing. For there price i would put them one. By the way install them your self, it will take under 2 hours to install them.