1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens on a Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sefuller, Nov 25, 2002.

1. sefuller

sefuller Junior Member

I have my Meyer 6.5' plow all set up on my 97 Wrangler, but I am trying to decide which route to go on the front suspension. I really don't want air shocks, as it seems it would be a pain to have to change the pressure every time I plow then take the plow off. Same with the air bags. I have read some posts about the Timbrens, but their site is not entirely clear on how they work. I assume from what I see that they must allow a minimum amount of sag in the front end, but then act as an extra "spring" once they come in contact with the axle? Is there a better description of how they work anywhere? Has anyone used them on a Jeep?

Scott Fuller
    Milwaukee, WI
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Scott they would be installed where you now have the small rubber bump stop on the frame of your Wrangler. They are load carrying rubber springs that come in contract with the front axle to help support the extra load. The 97 Wranglers are not the easiest to install but would be a worth while investment for your Jeep. Your will really notice the differance right away, you'll find your Jeep will handle and ride so much better. E-mail me if you want the part number for the ones for your Jeep. :rolleyes: John
  3. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

sefuller - Good question! I have two Jeeps as well, both of which need some help in the front end sag department. I stopped in at NAPA to purchase a set of LSE's that SnoJob67, a fellow plowsite member, said would help. But they do not make them for the Jeep models.

They suggested that I install a set of Reflex shocks for the front. They claimed that our village purchased a set for a Ford Ranger P/U, and it raised the front end 1 1/2". I purchased one set, since I needed to replace my shocks anyways. I would like to put a set of Timbrens on the other Jeep.

Anyone got Timbrens on a Jeep? How well do they work?

Let it snow!!!!
  4. honkyjim

honkyjim Junior Member

Timbrens look attractive, but there is a drawback in my eyes: the jeep will sag 3/4 an inch before they come into contact (that was told to me by timbrens technical support). Theres not many other options for helping the jeep front end and if there are any other good ones id like to know. ill probably end up gettin them within the next few weeks, 31s dont help the problem on my 98 wrangler, but ill make it so that they become effective earlier I guess? When you put the plow on, the car is only 1 1/2 inches lower than it normally is with my minute mount 6'9, so I guess 3/4 inch is okay only if at that point is COMPLETELY stops further sag but my guess is that itll still let it sag even more.
  5. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Just because of this reason, I went with a lighter plow. I got a Snoway poly. I did not want to get any of the things mentioned and ruin my suspension. I do already have a 2" Spacer lift on it. The front sags, but I have enough space and it drives fine the plow up. Somene on here mentioned something about having a 3" Teraflex lift on a TJ, and the springs are much stronger than the stock and that there was almost no sag at all. I guess that would your third option.
  6. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I posted some pics a while back if you do a search. I put a pair of Timbrens on by myself and they work great... best investment I have done for my jeep.
  7. Sndun

Sndun Member

If I'm not mistaken, the poly weighs more than the steel moldboard. May be something to think about. I have timbrens on my TJ with a Snoway and wouldn't go without them ever again.
  8. tsr770

tsr770 Junior Member
    from SE MI

I would tend to agree with the new lift coils being stronger than the stock ones. On my Bronco the 3" lift coils are substantially thicker than the stock ones were. Before the lift it would sag probably 2 inches when the plow was lifted, and now it might move a half inch, maybe.....
  9. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

You may want to consider swapping in a set of Cherokee (XJ) coils. The XJ coils are physically the same size, but have a higher spring rate due to the XJ's weighing more than the Wranglers. Back when my 98 was still near stock I added a Warn 8000lb winch and such and have very bad sag. I swapped out the stock coils in favor of a set from a regular early 90's 4.0l equip XJ and got about 1" of lift with the winch on there. Plus It wouldn't bottom out as much off road.

Since Wranglers sit so nose down anyway, when you don't have the plow on the Jeep will sit alot more level. I'd recomend this upgrade for sure! Stock Wrangler coils are weak and when abused they sag alot.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

10. uptown

uptown Junior Member

I own a 2003 wrangler with air bags and we love them. Timbrins reduce the spring travel causing a very harsh ride. Timbrins only start to work after front end has already sagged about an inch or so. Airbags are great you can adjust the ride height anytime for climbing tall curbs ect. and do not effect the ride at all.
  11. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

What size Snoway do you have. I have the 6.8" ST and I also have a 2" spacer lift. I checked around and my plow is about 100lb lighter. I have sag, but it is OK. I got a couple of inches to go. If I have enough money to upgrade my springs, I will get a bigger plow for next winter.
  12. Sndun

Sndun Member

I have the 6'8" MT. The spacers will help you with any potential clearance issues but Timbrens assist in supporting and carrying the extra weight from the plow.
  13. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I have a 2004 Rubicon, and in Feb of 2009 I just had a brand new Fisher 6"9" installed ($4500.00 Ouch) They installed the Timbrens and its great. jeep only drops about an inch or so when blade if lifted. Works great!! Awesome Plow!!
  14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you look at the curb weight the YJ weighs MORE than the XJ (at least in 1991)
  15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Only I use air shocks, timbrins reduce the wheel travel and give a harsher ride year round.
    I find no problem with changing the air pressure for plowing. Get a little 12V $20 pump. your not pumping up the volume of a tire. takes me 3 Minutes to pump up the shocks. with the plow on and 120 PSI in the shocks I am at normal ride hight.