1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens on a Chevy 1/2 Ton, Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 31, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm installing a western pro-flow 2 spreader on the ass end of my Lil' Chevy....I will need to carry a few hundred pounds of salt along with a little Toro 2450 sno-blower. My thoughts are that this will be taxing the ass of my Lil' Chevy and rather than drop $500.00 on a set of airbags I can buy a set of timbrens for the rear $179.00 with free shipping and hopefully call it day on sag and squat concerns....Anyone have any input on the effectiveness of the timbren product?

Good bad or indiffrent?

2. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

Last year I got a set of firestone air bags delivered, I think $220? Easy to install and they work great.

3. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

My truck got them with the snow plow prep package, but air bags might be better.

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Timbrens load helpers will be just fine...

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

everyone that rode in my truck when I had them on was like holy geez.... this thing rides like a log wagon.... So finally I said enough of that.... went with Air Ride air bags... rides like a caddy.. only cost $300 I think.... best move I've made so far... screw timbrens, only run them upfront if needed

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You were running Timbrens in back? And swapped just the rear to Air bags?

A Cadillac.. really;) ?

7. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Gonna try the timbrens as i will only be using the truck for a few small local accounts...I'm mounting a western pro-flow 2 tonight as my two accounts both want a 90-10 mix spread on the lots.

Its not a daily driver and I like the thought of the Timbrens being so simple.

The front is OK I think...It has what seems to be a light plow on it and dosent sag much at all. Its a Meyer 7.5 ST which is designed for 1/2 tons and sport utes. I'm gonna go with a few turns on the torsion bars and call it a day up front.

I'll see how it works out and adjust/replace/repair/yweak as required!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

At $500 I hope they included the compressor. Air bags are great and so are timbrens, timbrens require no maintenance. Install and forget them, air bags require a minimum of 5psi at all times. Failing to maintain the required pressure can result in bag failure.

Timbrens cann't fail in the middle of the night, the air lines don't leak and you don't need a compressor to fill them.

Airbags are adjustable for load capacity, when you're not using them you can lower the air pressure to get that Cadillac ride that so many find so important.

My opinion is that the timberns are better for commercial application. If you are one of those who use their everyday ride as a snow pusher and you're biggest concern is about ride, then airbags could be the better choice. If you go with the air bags I suggest the on-board compressor with a 10lbs constant setting. Much easier then filling from an shop compressor and it guaranties that you always have the required minimum pressure plus it provides on the fly adjustably.

You might consider timbrens in the front too. You are going to shift some weight load forward when you raise the rear. Just a thought!

9. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Timbrens on the front as well even with the light Meyer ST plow?

I'm gonna see what happens and leave that as an option....

The truck will sit for long periods of time in driveway so the thought of fooling with airbags and stuff is a concern.

I have to make myself go outside and fire up the truck every couple days and if the plow werent such a hassle to remove I would actually drive the truck a few times a week and use it to pick up junk.....

Maybe I'm a "Spaz" but I'm having a helluva time getting the blue and yellow springs mounted quick releasers to quick release.There are two spots where the jack can connect and If anyone can point me the right direction in removing this thing I would be appreciative!!! I'm really a painter and this is my first foray into the exciting world of Plowin'.
    [​IMG]

I have the little jack that came with the plow and I suppose I'm doing something wrong and there is too much weight on the mounts?

This is my daily driver....It rides pretty good but there is something nice about having a truck that I can light a smoke in or actually use the 4WD thats nice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Ya buddy, I actually still have the rear timbrens in, but they never even get close to touching because the lift I get off the airbags.... Kept the front timbrens in becuase I cant get any airbags for upfront. If I could they would be gone like that... Only had the air dropped on my bags once, stupid neighbour must have thought he was cool that night.... But other then that, havent had a single problem with the bags and love them...

11. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Figured out the Meyers mount. Takes some trickery with the jack and I only need to disconnect the blue connectors.

My buddy has a big western V-PLow that is easier to disconnect than this little Meyer....:dizzy:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We run timbrens front and rear in all of our 3/4 tons.
    You will not even notice the ones in the rear unless you are loaded down as they will not be touching when you are empty.

As for the front I believe no one makes air bags for the front of your truck.

Get the timbrens they are cheaper they do not develop air leaks and they do not need a compressor.

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

that is the differenece between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, 1/2 ton pickups you are sitting on the timbrens from the start, I had them front and rear and it was terrible. But it made a big difference for plowing.

14. RSmith63

RSmith63 Junior Member
    from Rockies

The 2500 In CS is now $2500

Chaz

A little off topic, but that white 2500 in CS is now for sale for $2500. what was your opinion on the truck .I thought he had too big a plow on it earlier, but he sold the plow and now just the truck is 2500 buck.

15. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Survey says? Timbrens...

16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I always wondered why my truck seemed to ride rough. I didn't know thats what cauzed it. But they will be great for putting on a plow.

17. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Thanks gawd he came to his senses!!!

That dude wanted $3500.00 for the truck alone two weeks ago...No way!

Its got a 305 and its a light 3/4. Heres the deal though...After driving the Chevy that I ended up buying I think his may have some tranny slippage.....I thought it was just geared real low at first..and at second drives but its slipping. Mine grabs and goes. His roars and dosent really make much foward progress.

The plow that was on that truck was insanely to big. It literally dragged on the ground. thank god he took that off and sold it as it wouldnt have made three pushes before that front end hit the asphalt!!

Drive it and see what you think of the tranny...The motor runs good and the truck is decent with the exception of some wierd homeade bondo/paint job on the drivers side cab.

The truck itself has like 230,000 miles on it. I have a new truck for my daily driver so miles dont bother me as my plow truck will never leave the springs. If you need a plow and a daily driver??? Check out that tranny on his and see if you think it runs hot. Both of which I discovered on my second test drive. Nice guy who owns it and easy to talk too.....He bought a diesel GMC so he dosent need that truck anymore...Its never plowed either so thats a good thing!

18. bersh

bersh Senior Member

This isn't exactly what you are asking, but I've got Timbrens on the front of my 1/2 ton and when the plow isn't mounted they don't touch or affect the ride at all. I didn't bother with putting them in the rear as even with 600 lbs behind the axle I'm not even close to hitting the bump stops. With the plow mounted (8' MMII HD), the Timbrens make all the difference in the world. This is more plow than I really need on this truck, but I really like the 8' blade as I don't drive over my windrows when the plow is fully angled. I only cranked my t-bars two turns, BTW.

19. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ya buddy...
    Your front bars and rear springs might have settled with age and that's why you were riding on the Timbrins unloaded. That could be why you were ridding hard. The air bags may have just helped your rear springs unloaded.

20. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

My issue is the 375#'s of western pro-flow2 mounted on the ass end combined with as much sand salt mix as I can carry and still be functional.

My front end is riding pretty good as I have a Lil; Meyer 7.5 ST on the truck...I think a derned S-10 could carry the plow I have.....I will probably try and upgrade the mould board? Or plow portion if pssible to an 8" poly unit as budget and feasibility permit.