1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens On 3/4 Ton

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Favatts, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

How many of you guys are using Timbrens on the front of your 3/4 tons? I had them on my 1/2 ton, but have not installed them on my new 3/4 ton. Not sure if I really need them. Just curious........... Favatts
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have them on a 1987 F250. I think they are plenty needed, even on a 1 ton would be a good idea with a plow hanging off the front.
  3. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

what are they
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Timbrens are what is called a helper spring. It makes a great difference when you raise the plow. The front end doesn't hardly drop at all. I've got an F250 and I'm going to install a set myself.:waving:
  5. rewoodworking

when i lift my plow it only drops maybe 3/4 of a inch i didnt think it was so bad
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I've got em on my truck. Dont think they are "needed" but they do help take some strain off the truck's suspesion. Work great!
  7. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

Thanks for your input guys. My truck drops about 3/4" when I raise the plow. I did not think that was bad. I was just wondering if they are really needed on a 2500HD.
    Thanks Again..........Favatts
  8. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Hi all I just put a set on my 1990 3/4 ton GMC with 274,000 miles it makes a big inprovment I run no weight in the rear so it use to bump the ground alot now not much anymore . I should have put them on along time ago . My 2 cents
  9. GPB

GPB Member

I dont have them on my 02 2500HD, but it also has the heavier torision bars from the snow plow package. The plow drops the front end maybe 3/4". Also handles it real well while driving with the plow on. I guess I didnt see the need for them.
  10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I use 'em

I have them on my 2001 2500HD and it helped a lot. I have a Blizzard 810 Power Plow which is the heaviest plow I have ever used. I also have set on the rear. When I put a pallet of salt back there it REALLY dropped the back of the truck. The Timbrens made a huge difference and won't affect the ride when empty like helper springs will do. I have a Meyer poly plow on my 2004 2500HD w/no Timbrens and have had no probs.
  11. rewoodworking

is there a site where i can see them
  12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Uh, did you try http://www.timbren.com/ ?? I bought my from CPW as they had the best pricing around.
  13. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Good investment. Finished my install a few weeks ago and very happy with them. Application; K-5 blazer.
  14. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Oh Ya

I have a 2001 2500HD Ext Cab. I carry a 8'8" Meyers V plow. The Timbrens were about the only thing I could do to help the front end of my truck. Very well worth the couple hundred bucks I spent on them. Keeps it from bottoming right out.
  15. Hellbent.HD

Hellbent.HD Member

I have a '02 2500HD ext cab short bed GMC with a 7 1/2 MM2.
    Mine didn't need timbrens at all. It drops maybe 3/4 of an inch, and handles it very well.
    It's strange though, i've seen a few 2500HD's that sit really low in the front with a plow.
    A friend came in the shop i work at yesterday with a standard cab long bed 2500HD with a meyer composite plow and it sat so low in the front we thought there was something wrong.

I had Timbrens in my '00 1500 silverado, and they helped out a lot. I deffinately don't think they are a wast of money.
    For the investment, it's good insurance.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It doesn't matter if anybody's truck drops or not when you raise the plow, timbrens are allways a good idea and investment. :nod:
  17. Favatts

Favatts Member
    from CNY

I had a set of Timbrens on my 02 1500 Z71. They worked great!! I sold that truck and bought a 2500HD. When I raise the plow the truck does not drop much at all. If I look at the factory bump stops with the plow raised they are hardly touching. Not any stress on them at all. It that case I really don't see the need for the Timbrens. In the case of the 1500, with the plow in the raised position the Timbrens were under alot of stress, which is the reason they were good for that truck. Just my thoughts.......Favatts
  18. GMC HD

GMC HD Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 01 hd w/boss 8' blade the front has a little more sag than i'd like.