1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens on 04 Silverado?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Dec 10, 2003.

POWERBAND Member

I am interested in putting Timbrens on the front of my new 04 Silverado with a Meyers 7.5 after reading the positive comments on the site.
    I found that the stock front susp. bump stops are welded not bolted on and appear to have the rubber insert crimped into the cup. Anyone have experience with installing the Timbrens on a Chevy P/U.
    The vendor said you just pry off the old rubber inserts and insert the Timbrens but I worry they will fall off if there is nothing to hold them in.
    Also I was looking at the bump stops being close (inboard) to the A-arm pivot and was wondeing how well it can take the force of all the leverage when the Timbren is loaded
    PS- Its an '04 1500, Shortbox, StdCab. with HD rear springs and 3950LB Frt and sits like a 70's street rod with the rear in the air and the front close to the earth. I put @ 500 lbs ballast and turned up the TB's 6 turns and it is somewhat better until I lift the plow.

Thanx PB:cool:

The old rigs [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have installed several sets on the 1500's over the last couple of years and havent had a truck come back because they lost.

Its just like the instrutions says, pry factory one out, bolt 2 parts together, put in place and drop the jack quickly to pop it the rest of the way into place.
  3. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Does it look like this, or is it different? :confused:

front timbrens.jpg
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

timbrens are one of the best upgrades you can make to a plow truck. goos luck with your new truck and plow. the old fleet you posted pics of look good to:)

POWERBAND Member

Same as? pic Sbrennan007...

I'll have to get a pic for you of the suspension like you are showing. As far as I can tell, no it does not look like your pic. My 04 has what looks like an oversize bottlecap holding the stock bump stop. What type truck is in your pic?

For now here is a pic of the new rig after our first storm in the Hudson Valley : [​IMG]

Thanx - PB :cool:
  6. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

you just pry out the bump stop with a pry bar.not the oversized bottle cap that is what is going to hold in the timbrins weasle the pry bar under the the bump stop and pry remember to jack the truck up.remove the tire as this will make life easier the first one you do will suck but the second will only take 15 min.its simple

POWERBAND Member

Sbrennan007 pic...

Dohh! - I looked at your picture again and saw the model truck and the link to your pictures. Nice setup!'
    I went the other way this time around and got a 1/2 ton - 4.3/V6 5spd - standard cab- short box. It basically is the lightest duty truck that I feel can handle a full size standard plow. Even though GM won't put a plow prep on either standard shift or V6 trucks or is it trucks under $30K . I always kept heavy duty beater plow trucks for big storms and used an Isuzu Trooper with Meyers 2-meter for small stuff so this is a combination of both. The other 95% of the time I drive without the plow it is a light, small truck and with the 5Spd it is "sporty" compared to my old rigs .

Thanx - PB:cool:

POWERBAND Member

Thanks Easthavenplower and Crash. That pretty much answers my original concerns. Nice to have access to knowledgable people willing to share.
    Plow Site is good by me!
  9. Cobol Dude

Cobol Dude Junior Member

Hi Powerband;

I am curious how much your truck dipped in the front with the plow raised? I have the same truck and it only dropped 1 inch with the plow up so I opted to not put timbrens in it. The only thing I can think of that might be different between our trucks is my sticker says on top of the snow plow prep package it has the heavy duty supension? As for what plow I use, I have a 7.6 fisher minute mount 2.
    If you are doing alot of driveways then you did good. As for me I do 3 driveways tops

Take care and good luck
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

once they are up in the cup you will play hell with getting them out, in order to install some light grinding might be needed on the retaining flange:D
  11. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i used a little grease slid in with a little force