1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens? (Longish)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I want to use a metal blade, not a poly Snoway or Curtis but I want to know if the Timbrens are that effective that i won't be tucking my wheels when the plow is lifted. My torsions are already cranked and Timbrens look easy to install but i want some professional opinions on how well they help. :confused:
  2. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Welcome to plow site. You will get good info here, most of it better than I can give :eek:

Steel blade on a Chevy 1/2 ton (x-tra cab)? I'm pretty sure that's a warranty voider isn't it. Pretty stupid, GMC 1/2 ton no problem, Chevy VOID. I never understood that. To tell you the truth I plowed with steel for 15 years and my Cutris poly plow on my little Toyota did just as well as that old F150 with the Fisher. Nice part is that it will never need paint and will never rust :D

OK, my plow weighs in at 460lbs. My Toyota drops 1/4" with the plow up. With a steel blade and timbrems I would guess you may see about 3/8" drop. The timbrens help the sag but most importantly I can hit big dips and bumps without bottoming out. I plan on getting a set for the rear ASAP so I don't get as much sag driving around with my ballast in the back.

-Good Luck and happy plowing.
  3. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will find that most poly blades are actually heavier than steel. Not by much, but when it is 6 feet ahead of the front wheels, every bit counts.

The timbrens really do work great! Understand a few things though...

1. You only have the blade on the truck when you are plowing. Take it off when there is a lul in the weather.

2. Most of the time you are plowing, the blade is down, thus releasing the weight from the front end.

3. Unless you have to travel long distances between accounts, the blade is rarely in the up position.

So many people here use Timbrens with fantastic results. The main purpose for them isn't really for tire wear, it is to keep the ball joints and u-joints from prematurely failing.

In essence... They really work.
  4. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

So spend a little more and get the Snoway? OK might be better for the truck longterm I guess. Thanks for the response. How far up is Windham?
  5. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

I heard good things about the snoway, if it offers I down pressure option go for it. I love my Cutis though :salute:

Windham is about 15 minutes West of Portland (RT 302) towards North Conway.

I don't normally recommend dealers but Palmer Spring in Portland did my plow and Timbrens. Good guys and they do nice work.

Here are some picks of my setup.

Keep in mind ANY plow on a 1/2 ton Chevy xtra cab will void your warranty BUT it will only void those parts associated with plow wear (most importantly the Tranny). Double check that with your Chevy dealer though, I may be wrong (happend once
    :( )
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  6. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Ian, I just fixed the link to my setup (last message) if you want to see the Curtis. Sorry for the goof :realmad:
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree, the reason for timbrens is to keep the soft springs from sagging and hold the load, timbrens are actually harder on balljoints because they are still carrying a load but now it is a stiff load which causes shockloading.
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You are also correct, Nate. Probably more correct than me.