1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens install ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bob-cat, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

I know everyone says its easy, but of course im having bit of trouble. My friend and i spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to get one side in. there is just not enough room even after pulling the shock off. we can barly slide the rubber part inbetween lower control arm and bumpstop mount even without the steel washer and the wedge. is that right? couse looking at it im not sure how they expect to get it all in there then get a socket on the nut inside of the rubber.

What i have is a 06 2500hd 4x4 and yes these are for the front

i mean could i have gotten the wrong ones? couse the number stamped on the box was crossed out and another one was hand writen in its place. So anyone ever messure the rubber spring before they put it on? just to see if they are the wrong ones

Thanks

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You have the right ones most likely. Just crank the t bars a few more turns and that should give you the space to install them. When I did mine they were a little tight as well. Had the truck up on jacks, cranked the t bars and they went in no problem. Then just turn the bars back down. Just remember how many turns you made. Good luck and hope this helps.I also put the bolt through before you put them on. I put some silicone inside and let it set a bit so they would not go anywhere when putting them on.

3. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

I didnt realize i had to crank on the t bars just to get them installed

4. spy0068

spy0068 Junior Member

Did you jack up the front end???

5. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Yes front end was up but only one side didnt have another jack stand avalible to get whole frontend off ground. Could that have made a differance?

I am a little leary of messing with the torsion bars couse of the fact trying to get it in for a alignment will take awhile and its my dd/plow truck with no back up ride

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

As long as you put them back to there original setting after completion you are not going to need an alignment.

7. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Thanks for the help, i owe u guys a :drinkup: if we ever cross paths

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no nut to work with inside on this application, only a threaded insert in the top of the Timbren which accepts a single through bolt that goes down through the frame bracket, through the wedge and washer and threads directly into the mentioned threaded insert. You have the wrong ones for the application.

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Unless they are a set of ooold ones, kinda <> shaped that used a nut and bolt. The new style are cylindrical and have the nut molded in.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Haven't seen a set of those in years but they bolted in too with little cussing, so I'll still say they're the wrong application.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

When you get the right ones ,Just jack up the front end,let the wheels hang,there should be plenty of room to install..

No T-Bar cranking needed !!!!

12. MPM

MPM Senior Member

just put mine in tonight, didnt even take the tires off, a lil tricky to get in there but not too bad, didnt crank my bars at all, i really like they way the trucks rides with them in

13. bob-cat

bob-cat Junior Member

Yeah i took them back to the dealer i bought them from, sure as sht they were the wrong ones. So im just waiting for timbren to get a new set ship out so i can pick up the right ones.
    Again thanks for all the help i was about to beat my brains out trying to figure out what i was doing wrong.

14. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I put some timbrens on the back of my 95 3500. The bolts that came in the kit sealed in the bag were coarse thread and the nuts to go in the timbren were fine thread. I caught it before I crossthreaded them and got different bolts. The mounting bolts were the right thread. plowking