1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens: Install Pictures

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Philbilly2, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

This is for all like me that didn't want to install these because they don't realize in fact how easy they are to install:

Here is what you get in the box:

Here is what you need to do the install:

15mm Socket ( to remove factory stops)
    14mm Scoket (to install new Timbrens)
    12" Extension
    Matching Ratchet (1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2)

Not needed but nice to have:

Screwdriver (to clean dirt from around the factory nut)
    Blow Gun (to blow out what you scratched away with the screwdriver)
    Thread Locker (I put a dab on the threads just for my own comfort)( not needed in directions though)
    Impact Gun (a 4-way will do for taking off tires, but that leads to more of the next item)
    Busch Light (makes the job just that much easier)

Jack up the front end of the truck so the suspension hangs (jack from the frame) and remove front tires:

This is what you are removing:

2. Philbilly2

Some more

This is the nut to remove them (15mm):

Here is what mine looked like :eek::

3. Philbilly2

and the rest

This is what it looks like without anything there:

There are the Timberns:

And here it is back togther:

Over all this is about a 3 beer job by yourself from pulling truck into shop and gathering all the tools. (Under an hour)

If you have a naggin wife, you could maybe strech it to a 5 beer job.

If you have at least 2 buddies to help you through the whole project i would say it could take a case
  4. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

PhilBilly2--Nice job, they make a HUGE difference don't they.
  5. Philbilly2

oh yeah, I didn't take any before pictures, i am going to see if I can find any in the camera so all can see that they do work!
  6. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

are you going to get an alignment or anything else? :drinkup::drinkup:
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

No need. It doesn't ride on them without a load. They just don't squish as much as the factory stops and are also taller/thicker.
  8. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks. That is helpful. Reading the timbrens website it looked easy but some people on this site will just "throw" a new transmission in too. I guess I have no excuse now.
  9. Philbilly2

That is why I did it. I thought it made it a little more comforting to see real pictures.

And as for the transmission thing, only the first half a dozen are hard :D
  10. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

my stock one looked the same way! also, the passenger side went in no problem. but the driver side took some time to get it in with the wedge. I think it took me about an hour or so to do the front. the rears would be extremely easy to do. they do make a huge difference! the truck doesnt even squat with them now. i also cranked the t-bars which if im ever not in a lazy mood im going to lower them a few turns.
    -i used a dab of glue to keep the wedge on the timbren so i could align the bolt to the hole.
  11. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

installing timbrens is the easiest job i have done lately and what a difference
  12. TTA89

TTA89 Member

I had mine installed on Monday, I don't have a shop to pull my truck into and its cold and icy in the driveway. That, plus I'm lazy ;)

My truck rides on the timbrens, at least it looks that way when looking in there when I turn the wheels. I haven't touched my T-bars, I didn't measure but it looks like the truck is raised a tad more in the front with them installed. I notice zero difference in driveability which is awesome! Haven't hooked up the plow yet, waiting for snow.....
  13. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

All trucks must be set up differently from the factory. I know that some trucks sit at different heights left and right. I have never touched my t-bars and I can slide my finger between mine. They are called bump STOPS for a reason.
  14. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

This fall when I did the job I took a few pictures too

Aside from the hand tools, I found a use for (now mind you my truck is a 97 and the factory bump stops were very stubborn to remove)

In fact here is what the stops look after, cutting, grinding, air chisling them out

Ok, here are the money shots

In this one notice how the Timbren mounts to the frame

Here you can see the clearance between the Timbren and the control arm.

15. Philbilly2

Dang, when you bring out a sawzall and a grinder, you are getting into at least a 12 pack job right there.

Nice Pics
  16. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Nah, was a 1.5 hour job. Should have been a 1 hour job. Since I have the tools, I dont screw around when the going gets tough. Grinder was used because the backing plate on the factory bump stop had fused to the support. I should point out my pics show the install on a 1500 rather than a 2500.
  17. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Haha...my truck is a 96..what a pita it was to install my 'brens.....i just cut off the bolts with a torch...that much more eaiser....but in all honestly..i haven't notice much of a difference.....(prolly b/c i have my Torsion bars cranked way up).....also..saabman..i believe the passenger side shock bolt rubs up against the timbren and starts to cut into it..better check ..
  18. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to get the pix.
  19. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

ya the timbren install was about a half hour job. how can you go wrong? undo 2 nuts. screw in two bolts. probably spent more time taking off the damn hub covers and lug nuts then putting them back on than working with the timbrens and factory stops.
  20. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

IIRC, the instructionw call for you to flip the bolt around (so it does not contact). But I will heed your advice, and check it out too.