1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbrens front end drop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gc3, Jan 9, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I have a 2003 gmc 2500 hd with timbrens installed with a 8'2 boss vxt. I also had a suspension maxx leveling kit installed first cause of the 33" tires I put on. I noticed that the tires hit the mud flaps when turning and even more with the plow up cause they're molded on the edges inside, probably have to take them off or get thinner ones. With the plow up it drops in the wheel well 1 1/2" lower and makes this worse. The timbrens look to be in full contact at all times so theres no gap. I see some people with these on get from 1/2" to a 2" drop with their plow up. Should my 1 1/2" drop with the plow up be less. A tech rep for timbrens said I could put 2-3 washers above the timbrens so it would engage sooner but if it's making contact when the plows off how would the washers on top make it have less drop? Thanks

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

put smaller tire in it:)

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Not unless I absolutely have to. The difference between the inside corner and the tire is about 5/8" when turned all the way in. The raised molding on the mudflaps is about that much so it hits. I should be able to find some without any raised edges.

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

how about 600 lbs or ballast? that will raise the front end.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I had 500 lbs of ballast in it, it did help the traction but not my front drop issue.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With a leveling kit you have to space the Tim's down in order for them to become more effective (and) sooner. Yes I'm aware you mentioned that they're in contact...but I can guarantee you it's not enough.. One or two additional thick washers are usually what you need with a leveling kit to get them spaced down into they're effective range.

And if its a D-max equipped truck 500 lbs isn't enough ballast. Need 800 MINIMUM for max effectiveness.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep i was about to update my idea, and also add to make sure the ballest is beind the wheel well (by the tailgate).

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Like B&B said.. You need more ballast... Fisher recommends 900 lbs for me and that is with an 8ft X-Blade. Maybe the BOSS site will have more info.

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

It's not a d-max but a 6000, The ballast I have is behind the wheel well but Boss said I don't need to counterbalance the plow but just if I need it for traction but I'm all for making it more effective. They left the leveling kit a little higher cause they knew I was going to put a plow on. Maybe they should adjust the leveling kit back to where it typically should be, then put 2-3 washers on top of the timbrens like B&B said. My other question is while looking at the instructions for the front timbrens, on top of the rubber timbrens there's a washer with a built in bevel, then the frame bracket, then the small washer and bolt. If I'm going to put an extra two washers to get it to engage faster, should they be between the bevelled washer and the frame bracket or inside the frame bracket? If I'm trying to compress it a little it seems like it'd be under the bracket and on top of the bevelled washer? How much am I trying to compress it, 1/8, 1/4? Thanks

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Place the extra washer (or washers) between the wedge and the washer that'll already be there right on top the rubber part of the Timbren. Start with one extra 1/8" or 3/16" washer and see where your at. How much you'll need to shim it is dependent on exactly how much the truck is raise over stock..

You should have no problems with a 6.0 and the 8.2 with ballast, as far as the trucks ability to carry the weight..

11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Thanks B&B for the info, I'm going to try that tomorrow.