1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbrens? Are They Necessary and Where Do I Get Them

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dacse, Dec 3, 2004.

1. dacse

dacse Junior Member

First off, I am new to this site (which is very informative I must say) and I am also new to plowing. I just bought a used 7' (narrow but the price was right) Meyer plow to put on my '89 3/4 ton Dodge (Lond bed, diesel engine, and the heavier duty axles). My plow will be installed next week and I was curious if a set of Timbrens is always necessary. I have never heard of these before, but some of the other threads make it sound like these are a necessity. So my questions are, are these "Timbrens" necessary with a smaller plow like a 7 footer? If so, do they make them for older trucks like mine? If they are available, where is the best place to order them from?

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

not for such a small plow.

i know you said the money was right but i think that plow is just to small for your truck. jmo

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

A 7 ft. is too small for that truck. You will running over your windrows, especially if you have the blade angled. The plow HAS to be wider than the wheels.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite dacse.
    That old Dodge should handle the plow with no trouble at all.
    Just in case you didn't get a Dodge mount for your truck I still have one.
    Also if you do decide to look into Timbren Load Boosters I handle them.
    Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, glad you joined us.
    :rolleyes: John.......................

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

but ya gotta remember that on here the mentality is go big on a little truck then throw timbrens on there and it will be ok, but with a 7' blade and wings you shouldnt have a problem :nod:

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yep a 7 1/2 footer would be bare minimun for windrow clearance on that truck.

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Are Dodges wider than Fords? I have a 7 footer and don't run over my windrow. I know dodges have more spring under the front-end than Chevy's so no need for Timbrens on the Dodge. The Timbrens are more for the Chevy half ton guy with the 8' V plow.

8. dacse

dacse Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think the 7' will be wide enough if I don't angle it to much. I am mainly going to be using it for a couple of driveways so I can leave the blade straight. My area seldom gets more than 3" of snow at a time.