1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren vs Overloads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crossboneracing, Apr 19, 2011.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd do the springs, something to think about is the bump stop location really isn't designed to hold weight. If you were to do the Timbrens I'd box in the frame above the mount.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

do airbags as you cant go wrong with them. And they are the same price it is easy they are easyt to adjust to whatever application you are doing.
  4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

my buddy just put airbags in the back of his duramax and its a slick setup
  5. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Im thinking about trying the helper springs. I would like to do airbags, but it would be too much of a pia to fill up and air down. I am also going to call a local spring builder to see what the prices would be. Ill let you guys know how it goes!
  6. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Then spring (no pun intended) for the on board compressor so you can adjust as needed inside the cab! My '04 2500HD 6.6L that I bought this past year has the Air Lift 5000 set up and I love it!
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It takes a minute to pump the airbags up to the psi you want,plus you get a great ride when the truck is loaded or take them down to 10psi when not and still have a good ride unlike springs where you will feel every little bump.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Airbags arent nearly as big a pain as you think they are. They really are as slick a set up as anything out there.
  10. Kouski

Kouski Junior Member

Call me crazy, but I went to a junkyard and bought an identical set of rear leafs for my truck ('93 Chevy K1500). I cut the eyes off them and doubled up the rear leafs. I then adjusted the front torsion bars and leveled the truck. It was good for about 3" lift and a more stable ride. A 75x2cuft per bag load of mulch didn't even have the springs sitting flat. I'll put it this way, I'm more concerned about the stress on the axle and the rear end than I am the springs bottoming out. I expected a lot rougher ride from the rear springs, but with the leafs still sliding against each other, the ride quality didn't change. I'll accept criticism now...