1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

timbren vs. helper springs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Jan 20, 2005.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

What is your guys thoughts on this? Which is better? I'm need a little suspension help for the rear of my 88 chevy 1 ton(old body style) with spreader on the back(can get about 5,500 lbs of salt in it) It doesn't do too bad and I have used it like this for a few years, but I'm thinking about extending the sides of the spreader up another 2x6 high, so I think I need to do something to the suspension before I put any additional weight on the truck. Thanks for your input.

2. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I don't know much about the helper springs or how much they cost but, I bought a pair of timbrens for the front of my truck for $144 delivered. I would start with the cheapest first and then go from there. The timbrens really work good on the front of my truck. I 'm thinking of adding them to the rear for added support when pulling a trailer with equipment on it.

Breck

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I have Timbrens and think they would be a better choice. They`ll only go down so far, and if you don`t have a load in the back, the Timbrens won`t come into play and give a hard ride.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick with the weight that you have. What is the GVWR of your truck, 10,000 lbs.? You might want to weigh in and make sure you are not over GAWR on the rear end. If you still go ahead with it, I would install real springs, and perhaps new spring hanger brackets.

5. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I have a '92 Chevy 3500 (1T) with a flatbed and a 2-yd spreader on the rear. The most gravel I ever carry in the hopper is about 4000#. I've put Timbrens on the front for the plow and have had overloads added in the rear and a leaf added to the original springs. All the rearend work was done in a suspension shop and I did the Timbrens myself. I also turned up the torsion bars as far as I could without messing with the alignment, but the front end still dives when I lift the plow up--900+ pound Blizzard 810. It is not as bad when there's gravel in the box, but sometimes it's empty. Finally I ordered the stiffest torsion bars they make and put them in a couple of days ago, so that might do it--I don't know--time will tell.
    I think I'd be more in favor of redoing the springs in the rear because of the weight distribution factor. The Timbrens are good, but it seems like all the weight would be concentrated in a much smaller area which doesn't seem like the way to do it to me.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have an 89 and just replaced all the springs and added one extra. I would have thought you already needed help just to carry the 5500lbs. With the weight of the salter you are over 3 tons. We all worry about the springs what about the axle and the brakes. Someone cuts you off or you have to stop all of a sudden and you aren't going to stop. Extra 2x6's on the top is around 1500lbs more. I only put 3.5 tons in my 99 3500HD.

7. slade

slade Senior Member

The truck sags quite a bit in the back with a full load of salt, however it is the dually and it has overload springs. It also has the big (3.5") brake pads in back so it actually stops really good even with a full load of salt. I ordered a set of timbrens for the back, but now I'm wondering if I should have ordered the heavier ones(tow truck) that fit my truck.
    Slade

8. slade

slade Senior Member

cet

What kind of springs do have in your 3500? Do you have timbrens? How does it handle the weight as far as sagging in the rear?
    Slade