1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren suspension packages

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Underdog1, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Underdog1

Underdog1 Junior Member

hey guys
    just wonder if anyone had ever tried out these timbren suspension enhancment systems.They are hollow rubber springs that are suposed to carry most of the added load, making your suspension hold up better and last longer. they seem like they might hold up the front end of my F150 when i have the plow mounted up.
    let me know if anyone has ever tried these things and how they worked out for you. thanks

2. Rainman

Rainman Junior Member

I have never used them but have heard a lot of good and bad about them.
    apparently they do what they say they will do but cost can become an issue.
    If it we're me I would be using Air Springs from www.airliftcompany.com they are very reasonably priced and very easy to obtain from various sources!

3. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

do a search here for timbrens.... there is a post every other day about them. A set of timbrens usually seems to run around $130 - $150.

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Use 'em, love 'em, reccommend 'em :waving:

Just follow the directions regarding clearance bewtween the Timbren and control arm/axle and you'll be good.

5. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Bad Luck Use 'em, love 'em, reccommend 'em

Just follow the directions regarding clearance bewtween the Timbren and control arm/axle and you'll be good.

DITTO

6. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

Absolutley love them!
    Definetley recomend them
    Better ride with or without the plow.

7. wddodge

wddodge Member

They are great!! I put a set on the front and they worked so well that I got a set for the rear. I wouldn't own a truck with a plow that didn't have them installed.

Denny

8. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

Ditto Denny

9. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Would these help?

Our mechanic just serviced my work truck for the second time, has 8000 miles on it. Found out front shock was leaking fluid. It is a Chevy 1500 (short-bed), that carries a 7'6'' Boss poly sraight blade. Would Timbrens have helped the shocks or is it to difficult to make that assumption. Our head mechanic is dead set on trying anything new, but I don't care I'll just go over his head to get them purchased, "if" they would help this problem. Torsion bars have been cranked to already stiffen the front end.

10. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

you basically NEED them on any half ton p/u.. ive used them before.. they really work- supporting your front end clearance, and i think they are relatively inexpensive.. just over $100 for a set of 2

11. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I could not believe the difference they made on my 99 1/2 ton. I paid $144 delivered to my door from www.bsaohio.com. Well worth the money. Breck

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Havn't used them yet- planning on ordering a set by spring unless I find a better idea- I have seen a complete front spring replacement with airbags just like the semi trucks use for rear suspension for Dodges that I am looking into also.

As to the shock- maybe but probabily not. Shocks die- some faster than others. Factory Dodge shocks in 94-98 were only good for about 9K miles. Could have been from overcompression of the shock- depends on who drives/how they drive and the roads they drive over.
    If your torsion bars are cranked you NEED something- be it air bags, Timbrens, or something else.

13. Underdog1

Underdog1 Junior Member

have the people who used the timbrens installed them themselves? i hear they are relatively simple to install

14. nino1025

nino1025 Junior Member

It took me literally 45 minutes for the whole install on the front of my GMC. Thats including jacking the truck up & down cleaning up!

BTW they improved my ride height at least 1 1/2"

15. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Very easy install. They may take a little elbow grease to get in but nothing my 14 year old brother couldn't do.

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Put em on the front of my Dodge this past weekend. Actually my son did. He is 17 and just learning the art of <strike>breaking things</strike> mechainics.

Took him maybe 45 mins. Including getting the floor jack out and stands.

Plan on putting them on the GMC soon as I get it back from Michigan.

17. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Installation = piece of cake
    I am very glad that I bought them. Would highly recomend them.

18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

to the Dodge guys- did they raise your front end height too? I have also been thinking about putting in those spring spacers that lift the front end about 1.5 inches to make it level with the rear. Maybe those are not necessary?

19. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got the Timbrens in with 2" front spacers to level out my 96 1500 Dodge. I put in the timbrens in first. What could happen is change the ride. It depends on after their installed, how much space is left between the bottom of the timbren to the surface of the axle. If you have about 1/4 to 1/2 space there, your fine, because they won`t come into play until the plow goes on. But if there`re resting on the axle BEFORE the plow is on, the ride will be stiffer, because there`s no gap, and your suspension is being over taken.

Since I have 2" front spacers, there was more gap in between. So I had the Timbren company send me 1" rubber disks. I then epoxied to the axle. Now, there is less than a 1/2" between, which there should be.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All DODGERS,
    In about 1hr you can install new coil springs your self ,( Do a search)there are numbers on the springs the higher the# the stiffer the spring,
    cost mine from the dealer $211. for #46-#47 the stiffer one goes on the driver side.
    my o1 with plow prep had #38 #39 on it.
    Installed the springs on my 89 2500, excab, short box and 8.2 boss V,
    With a dodge you gain 2in in hight and 1 1/2 in drop with plow & counter weight in the box,
    I would recommend this fix for your dodge :nod:

I wish I had installed the springs sooner!!
    the best mod yet :drinkup: