1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren question from new plow owner

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by C4Sdriver, Nov 18, 2009.

1. C4Sdriver

C4Sdriver Junior Member

I bought a Boss 7'6" standard duty plow and will be plowing my driveway and the parking lot of my office building using a 2005 half-ton Suburban. The plow weighs about 700 lbs and will be putting 500-600 pounds of ballast in the back of the Suburban.

Taking my truck to the local Chevy dealer to adjust the torsion bars to help support the weight of the plow and wanted to get some opinions on having the Timbren hollow rubber springs installed at the same time to further reduce front end sag and help in handling.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated, especially concerning ride quality for when you don't have the plow attached with the Timbren springs. Plow will only be attached when needed to plow and detached in my driveway the rest of the time. Thanks.

Will post some pictures next time I have the plow attached to the truck.ussmileyflag
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

they wont affect the ride much more than cranking the torsion bar's ,wont notice it much after a month .
  3. ceoutdoor

ceoutdoor Junior Member

I just put a set on a 07 GMC 2500 and did not notice a difference in ride quality. The front end sag was reduced put not as much as I thought it would.
  4. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i belive chevy sag alittle more due to the independant front suspension. i had them on my 01 dodge 1500 with an 8ft Fisher MM1 and there was almost no sag with the blade up. but they due help in carryin cap. i think. imho i think they are worth it
  5. C4Sdriver

C4Sdriver Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to have the dealer adjust the torsion bars and install the Timbren springs.
  6. amarklevy

amarklevy Junior Member

What are Timbren Springs? Is this something I should be adding to my 1/2 ton. (2005 Chevy Avalanch) When I had my plow installed I asked if I needed to beef up the front end and they said adjusting the torsion bars is all I need.
    Thanks, Mark
  7. piperpm

piperpm Member

Only a half-inch sag on my F-150 4x4 with the Timbrens and a 7.5' Air-Flo (also about 700 lbs.) Highly reccommend them and little affect on ride quality.
  8. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Amarklevy, timbrens are a replacement for your stock "bump stop" they are designed to take some of the load as the suspension is compressed..

P.S. I like my timbrens...
  9. ShadmorePlowing

ShadmorePlowing Junior Member

10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

If you want to save some money just shop around online or go to Timbren's website and find the dealers in your area. that way you can get the best deal. They are very easy to put on!!! I just put a set on a f150 and it took maybe 20 mins.
  11. kenidaho

kenidaho Junior Member

I installed my own timberlines and adjusted my own torsion bars it took about 1/2 hour if you havea good jack and jack stands. Reall easy to do.
  12. Tulman

Tulman Junior Member

I have a 95 chevy K1500 and I as wondering what is available for this truck. The buyers units state that they work on most GM trucks 2000 on.

I just installed a week ago. I have proper clearance but I also noticed that the conrol arms are touching the bump stops. Can I get away wih just adjusting the torsion bars?