1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren or air suspension!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firstclasslawn, Nov 4, 2005.

1. I have a 2500 Chevy (old body style) that will be carrying around almost 2000lbs in the bed all winter, WIll timbrens do the trick or would i be better off spending more money and getting the adjustable air suspension on the back?

2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i have a 96 dodge 2500 the timbers will be great i put 900lb air flo on and then fill it about level. do not buy an off brand name.:)

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Timbrens are great if you don't want to worry about adding air or adding plumbing or spending a lot of money. They are simple don't require any thought once they are in.
    Add-on air bags are better for your springs because they can be set to take the load off of the springs and keep the ride height the same. You won't have to worry about the springs losing their arch and the rear of the truck sagging later on.

My conclusion is that the air bags are better, but possibly not worth it. It's all up to you!

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Air bags aren't that much more but the ride quality is much better.

5. westwind

westwind Member

We use adjustable air bags in our HD's, they work great. However they can give the illusion that you are not overloaded. Be carefull. Great for puling a skid.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

What are you talking about?? Timnbrens are under $300, air bags are over $500!

Airbags are also suceptible to damage that Timbrins are not. Usually inner fender liners must be removed for bags.

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

They weren't for my Jeep, Timbrens for the front and rear would have come up to about $250. Airbags front and rear were about $275 (~$180 rear and $65 front).

Also you can get the Firestone Air Bags from Summit Racing for a K2500 for around $230 and the Air Lift bags for $215.

8. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

how much is a set of frount air bags?

9. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

For the air bags normally I would add the cost of a compressor, but in a plowing application you could probably fill them once and then just add a little here and there to make up for normal leakage.

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ok, it will depend on the truck for cost. Truckspring.com has the best Timbrens prices. Many trucks cannot use air bags in the front, or in the rear for that matter but Timbrens do work. Dodges for example cannot use front airbags at all, and any truck with a rear booster spring pack can't use airbags. (camper package or towing packages for some pakes)

11. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Can't put air bags on the front of GM/Chev:(

12. LCSODIVER

LCSODIVER Junior Member

Gabriel Air shocks??

Has anyone tried these?
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006168/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006168/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=gabriel

I am thinking of getting these for my truck, a little cleaner install and I can put them on my front end too. still have to get a inflation system, but then I can inflate tires and run airhorns too!

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

VERY limited applications for those. one of my Ex GF's in high school had them on the rear of her Firebird- always leaking down. Interesting thought if they have improved them tho.

14. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

it seems to me with all of the varying suspension types on modern vehicles...the one common thread between all of these suspensions...is shocks. how in the world could you call that limited? the MAJOR advantage of air shocks is the fact that you can get them for almost ANYTHING. while you may actually have to get measurements on your current shocks to choose the correct air shock for your vehicle....it will most likely be available. due to liability restrictions, most air shock manufacturers do not recommend applications on the front...personally, i have run air shocks on the front of atvs, trucks, cars....pretty much everything with an almost non-existent failure rate. thats just my personal experience...but mine has been good. air shocks are less likely to be damaged by debris under your vehicle than an airbag setup....but for your weight requirements...airbag might be the way to go. so far i dont have any experience with timbrens but would really enjoy the opportunity to run them thru the gamot of tests that i put my air systems thru.

15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Limited applications because any vehicle with a shock in coil spring A' La' MacPherson strut (Like Dodge Rams) can't use one- the air fitting on the shock body is likely to be ripped off by the spring.
    Just because the shock length is the same doesn't mean the construction or weight capacity is the same- a 1 ton truck has a beefier shock (internal valve and piston) than a car, or a 1/2 ton truck. Depending on the vehicle in question there are possible issues with the air valve being inaccessible to fill also.
    If the manufacturer doesn't list you're vehicle as an application it won't work.

16. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

your other points were valid ones. in the case of coil springs, air bags are cheaper than air shocks or timbrens. macperson strut....theres not a whole lot you can do to make those any different than what they are. however the above statement about applications on air shocks is far from true. i drive alot of older vehicles that you cant buy ANYTHING off the shelf for and have become accustomed to doing a bit of research before i visit the parts store. napa doesnt carry an air shock for a 68 international harvester scout 800...but they do make one that will fit that application with the proper valving and correct dimensions...even tho their catalogs do not list it.