1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren installation on 2000 wrangler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bebop86, Dec 14, 2003.

1. bebop86

bebop86 Junior Member
    from nj

hey guys- Just hooked up a snowway to my 2000 wrangler and want to put a set of timbrens on it-According to their website they have to be professionally installed-Is this true and if so can someone recommend a dealer in north jersey- thanks so much-
    gary

2. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy Junior Member

Hi

I have a wrangler with a 6.5 meyers,and 4 inch lift, if the timbrins go in side the coil springs it should be a realativly easy install. Jack up the truck, put in on jack stands at the frame, jack up the axle undo all four control arms, undo the track bar, lower axle with the jack to the ground, the springs will lower with the axle, the timbrins should install where the bumpstops are which are located inside the coil springs. Its alot of crawling under the truck. Would be real easy to do with a set of air tools. Install your timbrens, Jack up the axle, connect the track bar, reconnect the control arms, lower teh axle, lower the truck. Prolly should get an alingment after also. hope this helps.

Chuck
    Perfect property Services Inc

3. john222

john222 Junior Member

Forgot to mention disconnect front drive shaft at U-joints so you can lower axle. You will not need an alignment even if installing new springs. This is a solid front axle.

4. landscapingpoolguy

nah no need to disconnect the front driveshaft it will fall with the axle..plenty of drop on that thing. Might have a hard time getting out those front springs and wait till ya gotta gettum back in :dizzy: the taller the jack stands the easier the job.

Chuck

5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Shouldn't have to take off the control arms. I just did a 3.5" lift on my 98 Wrangler. I just stood on one side of the axle and it dropped down far enough to get the srping out and the new one in. You could also go down to a local auto parts store and borrow a spring compressor. What ever is easier...

6. landscapingpoolguy

Control Arms will definatyly need to come off the axle. those front springs are very hard and the right compressor for the job is expensive.

Chuck

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if the springs are the same as on a xj then the controll arms dont need to be removed.

8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

They can be installed with out removing anything but the front wheels.
    Just take the weight off the front axle and work thru the spring, a little WD40 on the Timbrens will allow you to slip them inside of the spring.
    Just take your time and follow the rest of the mounting instructions.
    :rolleyes: John...........

9. Jim_M

Jim_M Junior Member

This statement _may_ be true with an inverted T steering setup, but twith the TJ's inverted Y setep the drag link attaches to the tie rod, not the knuckle, and WILL affect the steering requiring an alignment any time the ride height changes. If the Timbrens dont change the ride height, no alignment is needed. The good news is that an alignment can be done on a flat surface with a tape measure, angle finder, a few hand tools, and about 1/2 hour of time.

Concerning the spring removal, it is not necessary to disco the control arms, but since it's only a few bolts, do it and save yourself a ton of time and frustration. The dive shaft can stay on, even though you have a standard cut gear set on that Dana 30, and the track bar can stay on too. According to GarageKeeper the TImbrens can slip through the springs. Sounds even easier, but I've never installed Timbrens, only installed springs about 50 times.

Chuck, with a 4 inch lift, what size tire do you run? Is the plow mount stock from Meyer? How does that plow work and fit with the added height? Any issues?

10. landscapingpoolguy

35's and it works fine.

11. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

bebop86, does the plow really bring it down that much that you need timberns? I have a 2000 TJ as well and getting a snoway 6.8' installed tommorow. Do you like the way it plows? I have a 2" spacer lift, hopefully I don't have to put in anything to keep the front up.