1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren Install on F350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danthegrassman, Jan 31, 2004.

1. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

I will be installing timbrens on my truck tomorrow or Sunday (temsp finally getting up to near freezing those days). It's a 2003 F350 extended cab 7.3L diesel engine with a 8'3" Snoway V plow. Just curious as I did a plowsite search but no specific results. How easy is it to install on a Ford product and what should I expect in ride quality after I have it installed? Please only Ford people repond as they say the place where I purchased the timbrens that each vechicle rides differently. I will be putting it on the front only and I have attached a pic for reference. BTW I will post close-ups of the install for other people too.

home 026.jpg

2. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I had a set of timbrens installed on a ford bronco. They were easy to install but I wasn't totally thrilled by them. The ront still sagged. When they mount there is a space between them and the spring pack. The suspension needs to be compressed before they start to do anything. I now have a F250 psd extcab shortbed. I have a 7.5 fisher on there now and I will be upgrading to a 9.2 boss v. I plan on installing the x-spings in the front of my truck. I have spoken with a bunch of other superduty owners and they all have said that it was the best thing they ever did. It actually is supposed to make the truck handle better. Hope it helps.

3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

I just put a set on my 99 f350 4x4 7.3 at tops 45 minute job . Yes , they help ,since I run a Blizzard 810 , next step up would be x springs from Ford .

4. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Lawn Tek,
    I have the exact same truck as you do and I am installing a Blizzard 810 on it probably sometime in the summer. What kind of spring will I need to buy. Could you post some pics of your set-up so I can see how high it is off the ground so I get an idea. Which would be better, Timbrens or X-springs? Thanks again.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

grassman, not sure how it goes on a Supeduty, but I put them on my 96. It is pretty straight forward. I would think that it is even easier to put them in a superduty. I had to cold chisel of the rivets on my frame bup stop mount, but other than that it was pretty straightforward. If you don't already have X springs in your truck, I'd highly recommend putting them in. that way your truck will be plow prepped. If you are lucky with the Timbrens, they will not contact with the plow off, and will contact with the plow on. Nick.

6. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Lawn Kid , x springs would be my first choice , and should go on before the plow mounts . See what I can do about pics

7. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

what is an x spring? and secondly is it compatible with the timbren or is it just recommended by itself?

Thanks, Dan

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Nice truck! That's exactly what I want to trade mine in on.:waving:

9. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

x spring is a heavyer leaf spring sold by Ford , it will work with Timbrens

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

X spring

grass, on the sticker of your driverside door post, you'll see a front GAWR. You'll also see a front spring code. Trucks that have the Ford plow prep package have a front spring code of "X" and the front GAWR is 5200 lbs. If you don't have this, which you probably don't, you're front GAWR will be something around 4700-4800 lbs. I can't remember what it is exactly. If I had you're truck I would go to Ford and buy these springs, and have a spring shop put them in. You also might be able to find them from a junked Superduty at a salvage yard. But check the spring code, or front GAWR to make sure they are X springs. With the weight of the PSD they would help out your front suspension without the plow anyway.

11. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

oldmankent, the x springs actually have a gvw of 6000.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

does anybody know how much weight x springs can carry?? How much good would changing the springs if your front axle can only carry 5200 lbs.?

13. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

pre-timbren install

home 001.jpg

14. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

with timbrens on (truck still on jack)

I have to admit ride is bumpier but more stable.

15. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

oops, let's try the pic again.

home 002.jpg