1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren install on 94 Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bersh, Dec 18, 2003.

1. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I just gone done installing a set of Timbrens on my 94 Chevy K1500. Although the installation wasn't very complicated, it took a lot longer than the reported "15 minutes per side" and has me bleeding from three knuckles.

I can only assume those that claim 15 minute installs have done so on fairly new trucks (no rusted bolts) that have seen little off road action (no rusted/caked on dirt/sand in and around the bolts for the bump stop). Needless to say, my truck isn't new and has seen lots of action. Both sides were rusted pretty bad (broke one bolt off - first bloody knuckle), and had a ton of crap caked on from both past and present wheeling adventures.

Once I got the bump stops off, installing the Timbrens took only a few minutes. The real work began as I had to remove the lower shock bolts and reverse them so they wouldn't contact the Timbrens when they squash down. This was easily the most time consuming portion of the job (and I just replaced my shocks last year). The engineer at GM that designed the front A-arms and how the shocks mount on this vintage of truck should be strung up by his sack, as it is impossible to get ahold of both sides of the bolt with any sort of leverage (remaining two bleeding knuckles).

All that being said, the Timbrens make a huge difference. The truck rides a bit firmer, but the difference with the plow mounted and lifted is night and day.
    Also, while I had each side lifted and no pressure on the A-arm, I gave each torsion bar 1 full turn. I'm not a fan of cranking these too much as in my experience they affect the ride quite a bit, cause the shocks to top out too often, and cause the tires to wear uneven without an alignment. I think the guys touting 6 full turns of the bars are asking for trouble (unless the newer trucks are different enough that you need to crank them more to get any benefit).

All-in-all, I'm happy with the setup. With the 8' fisher HD I may have more plow than I need, but I'm a lot more confident that the truck can handle it now.

Scott

2. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Just a quick update. I did some plowing today to make room for the snow that's supposed to be heading our way over the next couple days. The truck really handles the plow much better with the Timbrens installed. It still sags a little bit when I lift the plow, but nothing like before.

I also got to drive around today without the plow on, and I think I prefer the new ride to the old, as it is firmed up just a bit. I didn't get any of the bounce that a few people reported. I also hit a pothole pretty good and if it bottomed out, it certainly didn't feel like it.

This is an upgrade well worth the bloody knuckles.

Scott

3. stanza

stanza Member
    from cny

i put timbrens on my 03 2500 hd gmc, cranked the torsion bars all the way up and "knock on wood" she rides damn good!!!
    not like the tank some people say it would.

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Who has the best deals on timbrens? Is it really necessary to crank the torsion bars?

5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Most places have them listed at the same price. I bought mine from truckspring.com for $146.95, free shipping (but I had to pay sales tax). Very quick shipping.

I only cranked my bars 1 turn, which isn't a lot and probably gave me 1/4-1/2" lift at most. My truck is older and has a lot of miles on it, so I had been meaning to give them a turn anyway as I think the front was sagging a touch anyway. As I mentioned in the first post, I think that those that crank their bars up a bunch of turns are asking for trouble.

There is a night and day difference in the way the truck handles the plow now, and I'm giving the credit to the Timbrens.

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Most helpful. Thanks Bersch.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have them available too for $149.95 with free shipping,no tax. most kits in stock

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks Nate. I wish I had known. Already ordered them. Thanks the same.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Plowed last week with the timbrens for the 1st time. What a differance! Cranked the torsion bars 2 turns and the ride is still smooth.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  10. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Yeah, I'm still impressed with mine and how much of a difference they make.

We've probably gotten about 100" of snow since I put mine on, so they've been getting a workout.

Scott