1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Timbren and Spacer lift install HELP!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Luppy, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Today I had a local shop install a spacer lift kit in my Jeep. I've got Timbren's up front on the Jeep, and I had them look at the Jeep with the Timbrens to see if they could fab up something to fill in the gap that would exist once the spacer lift was installed, in order to keep the Timbrens doing their thing. The guy who looked at it said "no problem".
    Well I go to pick up the Jeep and was very pissed when I had a look. This picture of before and after shows what they did.
    They completely removed the Timbrens!!!!
    And to top it off, they put on the extended bump stops, and now every little bump sends the bump stops smashing down since they are so long.
    To make a long story short, I can't drive it like this, and they say they are booked solid next week and can't get it back in, which pissed me off even more. Don't worry, I didn't pay them a cent and am planning to have a place that installs Timbrens reinstall the Timbrens for me.
    The main reason I'm posting this is, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a tool that I can use to cut these bump stops down without removing the springs...maybe something that will fit in there to chop some length off the bump stops???
    I don't think I can get a hack saw in there so it would have to be something that can get in between the spring.
    Thanks so much for any ideas.

theyfarkeditup.jpg

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Reciprocating saw ?
    With a long blade.

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

like this one...................

sawzall.jpg

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

CYA to follow

I am not saying to cut them.......
    If I was going to cut something like that on my own truck......
    that is the tool that I would probably use.

You should take it back and let them do it so you don't F
    something up.

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Mebes I can't get them to take it back soon enough. They said they're booked solid all of next week, and I need my Jeep since it's my daily driver. Plus after what they've done, I don't think I want them touching my Jeep again.
    Don't think it's going to harm anything by cutting the bumpstops shorter just until I can get the other place to put the Timbrens back in.
    Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Michele

6. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Well my idea isn't going to work. Have to get someone to tear it down and take that long bumpstop out, which I don't mind having to do, but I can't even drive this thing until it's out. GRRRR.

7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Psyched! After visiting a few different places in various towns around here that do lift work, I found some help. Guy had to pull the bumpstops, cut them shorter, and put them back in. Now it's driveable, but still have to pay again to have the spring shop re-install my Timbrens. What a pita. :dizzy:

8. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Cool............ I'm glad you got the old girl up and running again.
    It looks like a nice ride form the avatar.

9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Yes, thank you again for your suggestions. Here's a pic I shot yesterday of the Jeepy.

baftlift.jpg

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

pay with a credit card and file a chargeback after 25 days

11. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Nate I'm not paying them anything. They didn't do anything even close to what they were supposed to, and even worse, they f'd up my Jeep to the point where it wasn't driveable until I paid someone to make it driveable. Now have to pay to have the Timbrens re-installed. Total final cost will end up being 230.00 dollars which is more than the guy who screwed up my Jeep quoted me on the job (had they done it right). Add three days of aggravation and it seems to me they owe ME money.

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Luppy
    Is your mount an EZ mount, conventional mount or MDII mount? It looks kind of like an EZ mount from the picture but i cant tell for sure. Also if you don't mind me asking what was the name of the shop that screwed up your jeep? Just so i know never to go there! It sounds like a bad situation and i would be very mad if they screwed up my daily driver like they did yours. Especially since they told you that it would not be a problem:rolleyes: Hopw you get it all fixed soon. Checked out your jeep on car domain REALLY nice, especially inside!!

13. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Hi Chris,

This plow is the ez mount.
    The shop that messed me up was Stewie's Automotive. Derek, who seems to be the head honcho in there looked at my Jeep and I brought the lift kit with me so things would be crystal clear to him, and we explicitly went over how I wanted it done, and he said not a problem so you can imagine how pissed I was when I went to get it and they screwed it up as you see in my first posts.

I made a bunch of calls yesterday morning to a few mechanics I know, and luckily, one nice guy I've done business with is a mechanic for a contractor in Abington, but he does work on the side for himself on the weekends in there and he told me to bring it on over at around 1 pm. He cut down those foolish extra long bumpstops so I could drive the Jeep. It cost me of course, and it still isn't fixed, because I have to now get the Timbrens put back in thanks to those idiots at stewies taking them out. The kid who did the job says to me, oh I couldn't get those bumpstops to fit with those rubber things you had in there, so I took out the rubber things (timbrens)....I was like, you did WHAT?

Here is what Adam did for me so it's driveable.

shortened.jpg

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It looks better from that photo, good pictures you can clearly see what they did to it. The thing that would have put me over the edge would have been "those little rubber things" like there there for show or something:rolleyes:

15. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

If you have any tools, it is a pretty simple endeavor to install a spacer lift, even a spring lift or timbrens for that matter. You need a floor jack, jack stands, and very minimal tools. I really don't think you should have had a shop do it in the first place unless you are super NOT mechanically inclined. Things like that teach you a lot about your Jeep and help you understand how it works.

-Jer

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  16. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Thanks for your opinion on that Jer, but I wasn't looking for opinions on whether or not if I should have done the job myself....lol. No offense my friend.
    Yes I have some hand tools. And I know it's not huge job to install a spacer lift. But it was going to take a little bit of modding to put the Timbrens back in, fab up something of the right length and width to fill the gap that the new lift brought on, and have the Timbrens work properly, and it was a job I just had no time for right now, but it had to get done right now.
    As far as the learning how my Jeep works. This girl has done more wrenching on her Jeeps over the past twenty years than
    alot of guys I've seen.

Take care and have a great day,

Michele

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004