1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tilt wheel?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4x4k20, May 6, 2001.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

i have an 89 gmc with tilt it is real loose someone said that there are 3 screws that if you tighten them up it would fix it has anyone done this? or know what i should do?

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

i awnsered my own ? yesterday when i tried to take it apart. call somebody and let them do it

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

that bad? what happened?

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

1-remove steering wheel
    2-remove collar under steering wheel, along with this comes the multi function turn signal stalk, and ignition switch
    3- tighten three screws with specialty socket
    Reverse procedure, all told takes about 2-3 hrs and involves about 12 different fastners and clips.
    Did my 89 K-30 in January, and I had a very experienced person help me.
    Dino

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

i got half way into it i didnt have a special tool that you have to have to get 2 pins out that hold part of the colum i have a man coming out to fix it tomorrow for 125 he said there are 4 screws down in there that need tighten

6. Bossman

Bossman Junior Member
    from Georgia

Yea, I'm working on a '88 K-5 blazer with the same problem. You need to remove the turn signal switch harness, remove the ignigion switch and housing. Next remove the tilt tension spring. at that point there should be two pivot pins (one on either side) of the column. You will need a slip hammer to remove these. Once the pins are removed pull in on the tilt lever and push up on the tilt housing (you may have to wiggle it a little) and should come off. At that point you will the bolts that hold it to the column.

Just be sure to remember where all your parts came from because installation is excatly reverse. If you have any questions e-mail me at randykitchenssr@knology.net

7. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

I knew I was gettin screwed, I charge a 12 pack of Bud to do that job. Hmmm maybe I'll up it to a case on the next one.
    It took me 45 minutes the last time I did one. It was on my 81 Burb.