1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tilt trailer questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I'm tired of dealing with ramps and having the rails around my trailers when trying to fork something up and over. Not to mention the new skid loader is too heavy for my current trailer. I'm looking at tilt trailers. I think I found a great deal on a 20' tilt trailer. I've never used one or even been around one until I started looking. This particular trailer is a 15,000 gvw for sale at $3,400.00. Is this a good deal? The guy said it retails for $6500. It looks BRAND NEW. I have a couple questions for guys that use these. This one isn't hydraulic or electric. You just drive up and go slow at the tilting point and it comes down on its own. Is this a good system or will it have a tendency to SLAM down when loading and giving me the oh $HI% feeling when unloading. Would it be better to go with an electric or hydraulic tilt? Thanks for your input.
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I bought one last spring and couldn't be happier with it. Gravity feed is is fine and will only slam down if you're showboating. That's a great price..snap it up you won't be sorry.Mine was a year old and galvanized Thought it was a good deal at $5600.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You'll like an elec/hyd one much better, but its a good price if its nice. 15k seems odd though
  4. Mr.Markus

Yes... mines 14k. 7000lb axles
  5. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

That's what I thought also. I have a trailer rated at 15k with 7000 lb axles, I fortunately was able to get the manufacture to provide me with a new manufacturer tag with a 14k rating which put my combo at 26000 even, so no need for a CDL.

I would absolutely hate having rails along the sides of a skid trailer, that alone would be reason enough to replace it.

Those tilt beds look nice, the only concern I would have is if you want to set a pallet of sod or something on the front. is there enough room to not interfere with the tilt function?
  6. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

I have never owned a big tandem axel ...tilt... trailer, so forgive me if I sound stupid.

It would seem very awkward to me that some... lift the front axel off the ground to tilt / load??
    Those would not seem ideal.

That is a BEAUTIFUL trailer Mr. Markus has!!!
    Seems you MUST have the stationary bed section in front to get the proper balance and tracking unless you have the power up and down feature.

Would like a #7000 tilt so I'm looking for more information on them too.
  7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have a Kauffman 14,000 pound trailer that has 8' stationary at the front & the back 14' tilts. This trailer is great for loading my mini or skid loader, it does have a hydraulic cylinder that cushions the drop when loading. I gave $3950 for mine brand new & have never regreted it a single day.
  8. Mr.Markus

The stationary part is 4ft. It's good for additional implements, you just have to think through what you're doing...if you exceed the 4ft just use the equipment to pull it off on your first unload.Pretty simple. when you see how easy they are you won't even consider power.
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The tilt trailers work good for tractors,skids and such. But dont work very well for longer wheelbase things. Like a pickup. The bed will lower before the rear tires get on the trailer.
  10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

This can be true but I have found it can still work in some cases. When the tranny went out on one of my trucks I was able to load it onto my tilt trailer. It was a '96 Dodge, extended cab, long bed. My trailer is a 20' deck; 4' static, 16' will tilt. If you have the cusioning cylinder, or rather a damper, you should be able to lock it up or down. Mine came with a hydraulic hose that connected the top and bottom of the damper. This line is the path for oil for the oil to go from one side of the damper piston to the other.The hose had an in-line valve in it. When the valve is shut it stops the flow of hydraulic oil from one side of the piston to the other which creats a hydraulic lock,which in turn, will not allow the deck to move. Once the truck is on the deck, assuming that the tilt portion of the deck will accept the wheel base of the truck, you can get out of the truck and open the valve. If the weight bias is to the front, which it better be (the trailer won't tilt, and even if it did the trailer would not be stable when towed), then the deck will go down to the transport position.
    The tilt deck trailer, like the one pictured above, will lose some versatility because the wheel wells, or fenders, will make it so the loading and unloading, over the sides, of palletized items is not practical. Loading from the rear is not ideal either (though it can be done-see above). Another drawback is that it can be difficult to load when the deck is snow covered or icey. Chains on the skid or some sand on the deck will mitigate the problem. I carry a bucket with "play sand" in it.
  11. onsight

onsight Senior Member

12. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I've always had tilt trailers and love them compared to ramp trailers. You get use to them and 'know' how far to back up and it will very slowly set down. Mine has a cylinder that cushions it also. I have a Towmaster 10,000 pound tilt, its getting old but still pulls great.

I used another contractors deckover tilt that had the powered electric and hated it. You had to power it down then drive on, park, then go power it down. They also have problems some time with the battery going dead. Just seems way to much hassle.
  13. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have never had that small of a "deck over tilt". I would be afraid that the angle of the tilt would be steeper than I would want. Especially in the winter. Lower deck height=lower angle of approach, or less steep. It can be tough enough to climb onto the drop deck in the winter. Another thing that worries me about the PJ tilt (trust me I have one) is the latching mechanism. Right now mine is FUBAR and I have not yet figured out how to repair it. It clamps to the center, bottom, back side of the leading C channel on the tilt portion of the deck. The latch is connected to a foot pedal via round stock. It employs a linkage to get the pedal to "cam over" to lock into place. Introduction of mag-chloride and such has made it so the pedal no longer works. The linkage is now mangled. We currently use a chain, across the deck, to hold it in place while the trailer is empty. Even if it was working I still don't like the design because the deck can be lowered onto the closed mechanism (can you spell employees?) thus bending the C channel. As you can imagine this makes it very difficult to close the latch. I would like to use a different type of closure mechanism but the way the trailer is built (the frame is on the outside of the deck) makes most other mechanisms that I have seen un-practical.
  14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Oh really? Have u ever done it? I sure know I have and it works Great on a 22' tilt and load
  15. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

I had a 99 GMC 1500 Ext short box on a 20ft tilt just last week, it worked pretty slick. defiantly an improvement over ramps
  16. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I think I'm more confused now. You guys bring a few facts that I didn't think about. I didn't think about a snow covered deck and the angle might make it difficult to climb. I don't like the thought of carrying play sand to get any equipment up onto the trailer. And I think a galvanized trailer would be great. It doesn't take long for steel to rust. I sandblasted and repainted one of the trailers this summer and that wasn't all that fun. But price comparison comes into play there. I also didn't think of having anything sitting on the front of the trailer and then that becoming an issue when loading or unloading the equipment.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

At work we have 15 telt all Cronkite 12000# and love them. One thing to keep in mind is parts. Ridged sells a lot of trailer parts.
    Try and stay a way from torsion axles. Yes they do ride better and sit lower. If it goes bad you need to replace the hole axle.
    On somuch on a spring axle. Just my 2¢

I love my Z
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I love my 12ft, 10k low riding equipment trailer.

With the 16k truck I have, I'm at 26k total combined weight.

It is a pain to try and load multiple pieces on it, but my advantage is the drop sides on my my dump bed. Any other equipment can be loaded there and just my mini skid and backhoe attachment go on the trailer.

I don't have the hydraulic lift for it as it is manual, but I think I might get a bottle jack and modify up something for a manual jack lift for the trailer deck. That Way I can tilt it up in the air and load a mower easier in the summer if need be.

19. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

You beat me to it. That is why we will never own another one. If you want to load something on the front of the trailer that is wider then the stationary section, then your screwed if you want to load your skid on to. We have a 25 ton tilt with hyd. dampeners for the deck, the deck is not balanced right so you always have to use the piece of equipment to tilt it down and back up. Will say I do like it in the winter tho. You don't get that angle change like on beaver tails that cause track machines to rock. A little rock is all you need on a slippery deck and off you go!
  20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Kauffman makes a nice trailer. So does Rogers, Trail King and Appalacian. I have a 24' Appalacian deck over and couldn't be happier. Eventually we want a tilt bed but that pesky money factor always cones into play. If you can get this thing for $3500 write him a check. That's a screaming deal and he isn't lying, they go for $6000 or so. You will get used to the gravity tilt after the first couple of times.