1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tilt trailer question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Apr 26, 2011.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Not so much a repair question as a how it works question, but I figure Ill ask it here. I have a trailer that I bought about a year ago, its homemade and its built really sturdy, and used to tilt. It looks like it used to have a single nut that was removed to unlock the tilt, but somewhere down the road someone wleded the bolt on. I can either get it to tilt again, or just build ramps. I was wondering if I need some kind of a hydraulic or gas ram to help with the tilt part. I know it will just tilt if I loosen it and stand on the back but when loading, would you just have to go slow to keep how fast it comes down to a minimum?

Basicly I was wondering if I need anything else if I convert it back to tilt. If so Id just build ramps since I have metal lying around to do that.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I would at least install an pneumatic charged ram to slow the descent when loading equipment. It also is nice to have it able to stay in tilted position so you can load on your terms and not be fighting trying to keep it tilted and load at the same time.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We used to use Towmasters that didn't have any type of shocks. It was balanced well and would stay in whatever position you left it in. Either way if it was empty and up you could walk to the end of it and they'd come right down....................or most of the time I'd just use the skidsteer bucket to push it down and climb right up. They don't slam down either, they gradually fall as the weight is transfered. It's not as if you're dropping the machine on the front of it all at once.

Now I have a power tilt which I really like. Any other tilt trailer I get will be power if it's not already ;)

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Not true, yours may be a well built trailer, but they arent all like that. I saw some one drive a Zturn off one two years ago because it slammed down while trying to load :laughing: No one was hurt but the mower was in bad shape payup

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

To a point I suppose you're right. I was mainly referring to loading and unloading skidsteers, mini ex's, etc. That's what we primarily used them for.

That being said, I can't say so much about a tilt style that the snowmobile trailers use. Those are a pain in the ass. About put my chopper down one time unloading off of one.

So yes, BlizzardBeater is right, not all of them are balanced well, and depending what you are using it for it may not be so smooth ;)

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Well I figured out nothing is welded. It was just a bolt and my trailer tilts again. One of the axles isnt under it right now, so the balance is all off, Ill have to wait to see if I will need some type of ram till I get a new axle under it I guess, since the balance is all off. I am painting it right now, and then gonna refinish the deck boards.