1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tighten torsion bar?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Jul 9, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

My truck (96 chevy Cheyenne, no plow) sits lower in the front than the rear. If I tighten the torsion bar will this help? Ive been told doing so might be bad for the truck, is that true?

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Before you do that.

Is front tires are same size to rear tires? Can you get pictures of front coil springs so we can see if it not broke or it weak due age.

My truck have 2 bad coil spring but just forgot about that they cost $80 for 1 coil spring. Plus need replace shock too so we leave there until we find replace front axle with leaf spring that be great.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it will definitely help level it up.

And no it's not "bad" for the truck as long as you do it in moderation. The main factor is to be sure there's at least 3/8" between the upper control arm and its droop stop bracket (on the frame) after you make your adjustments. A small amount of clearance is necessary for a civilized ride and to prevent it from banging against the droop stop...which will bend it down causing it to become ineffective...which can then lead to other problems.

Also, depending on how far it needs to come up another smart idea is to check the shock length to be sure the shocks won't become topped out after the adjustment. Longer shocks or extended shock brackets will take care of that though.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Mil, the tires are all the same, and Im sure everything is the way it shold be. Im pretty sure its just because its a 3/4 ton, and the back has more "spring" to it to haul heavy loads.

The distance is very minimum. But I would like to lessen the height difference, The difference is so small Im not worried about losing clearance with other parts.

Thanks guys, now the more important question. How do I do it. Im almost certain how to do it, Ive been given a rundown on how. I just dont know how to locate the part. (Im not the most knowledgeable with this stuff, but this site has taught me A LOT so far), would it be possible for smeone to find a pic of where the actual bar is?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a pic showing one side of the T-bar adjustment bolts. They're located in the T-bar cross member between the two cross member flanges. You can see the flanges in the pic. The cross member you want to look at is located rearward of the transmission cross member (right about in the center of the doors). You'll have one adjuster assembly on each side near the outboard ends of the cross member. They'll be 18 MM headed bolts and you want to thread them IN (clockwise) to raise the truck. Make sure to use some type of lubricant on the bolt threads as in most cases these bolts have never been turned since leaving the factory and they will break off if there frozen in the T-bar key threads from years of exposure to the elements. Also make sure you lift the truck completely off the ground with a floor jack in the front before you attempt to turn the bolts or you'll break them off, since your trying to turn the bolt against the resistance that the weight of the truck is adding if it's not first raised off the ground.

It depends on how much the truck needs raised in the front in order to say how many turns you may need to start. In most cases I start with 4 full turns and then fine tune it from there. Make sure you take some type of measurement to use as a reference point before making your first adjustment. Then you can refer to it later if you need or want to make future adjustments.

And like mentioned before make sure you have at least 3/8" when your done at the droop brackets.

Attached Files:

6. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Go for it! A turn or two wont hurt any thing! You can always go back to where they where.

7. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

Are there any alignment considerations that go along with this adjustment? If you don't know you might inquire at your local alignment shop.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how much it's ultimately adjusted.

2 or 4 turns doesn't normally need a re-alignment as it only changes the camber less than a 1/4 degree, and the toe less than 1/16" from spec. But any more than that and it should be checked.

This assumes that the alignment was correct to begin with of course.

9. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Where can I put the floor jack? I know I cant put it on the skid plate. The only part Ive ever used is one the sides of the truck one side up at a time.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right behind the plastic skid plate on the lower suspension cross member. This is the cross member that the lower portion of the skid plate is bolted too. Here's a pic to show the location. Disregard the extra black cross member as this pic is of a truck with a 4" lift but it'll give you the idea.

4-6 Cognito.jpg

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Call me stupid, but I cand find anything that looks like it for crap!

I grabbed three pics from around the door area, and if you could point out on one where to look (if its on one of them), that might help. I dont know why I posted the last pic, I know its not the part, but its the closest nut Ive found so far.

DSCN2699.JPG

DSCN2700.JPG

DSCN2701.JPG

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, seeing pics makes it obvious as to why Kev.....

Your truck is 2WD.... no torsion bar suspension on the two wheelers; only on the 4 wheelers. ;)

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The plot thickens! LOL

14. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

B&B how bout some pics of the white chevy in the background :cool:

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, I was hoping this would go on longer before the fact that it was 2wd was pointed out. :D

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No one told me. :dizzy:

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

And the lifted one up on the lift:nod:

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hahahaha:dizzy: funny

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Was just comming on here to bring the news, but seeing how you found out, nevermind I guess. I thought I posted that it was 2wd, well I know I did in the thread about when I bought it, but that doesnt help now does it!?

I was told that since its a 3/4 ton, it still would, so I spent a bit of time looking! The whole time, I thought I heard the coils laughing at me!

20. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Kev is that the 6 lug or 8 lug (8600) 3/4 ton?