1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tight steering ..

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by groundbreakers, Aug 20, 2010.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

my 98 dakota 4 wheel has been sitting for about 4 months and now i got into it and my steering is unusually tight ... it stil turns but not loose like it use to be ?? all tires properly inflated ball joints still good .. nothing leakin .... ??????????????? any imput would be cool

2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Check your brakes and calipers ,maybe froze up.

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

My dad's 00 dakota has the same problem. It ended up being the upper and lower steering joints. We were able to spray the joints with CRC powerlube and seemed to free up but the shaft will have to be replaced before the plow season.

5. groundbreakers

yah took your advice went and got the CNC stuff ... pretty potent stuff for $3 bucks sprayed the hell outta everything .... better steering ... thanks alot though ... btw how many quarts of tranny fluid is needed for V6 dakota ?

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My dakota had this issue, I just replaced the shaft. Once those joints start to go your steering goes to sh*t.

7. groundbreakers

yah whay doesnt go to sh*t .... quality went that way too

8. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

depends on what you want to do. just change the filter then looking at about 6