1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tight Quarters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rpwilliams, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rpwilliams

rpwilliams Junior Member

We're a commercial snowplowing company that seems to get all the contracts that no one else wants. We have many apartment and condo complexes that require lots of back-dragging and tight turns. Our 3/4 and 1-ton pickups just don't do as great a job as we'd like. If we utilize our shovel crew, we're beating the guys to death. My question is to those who have found themselves in similar situations. What has proven to be the best method for efficiently clearing driveways and walks? Skidsteers, UTV's, snowblowers, mid-size pickups/suv's...?

Thanks!!!
    -rob

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well,1st I hope then your charging above average prices then.What type of plow you using? those places suck,by the time you get there,the snow is already packed down so its hard to get the snow up.You could try and pick up a jeep with a back blade on it.

3. rpwilliams

rpwilliams Junior Member

We have three company blades: 1) Boss Power-V 2) Blizzard 810PP 3) SnowDogg Straight 8'. None have back-drag edges. Our owner has been contemplating a skid steer or UTV, but I've been leaning more towards a compact pickup with a back-drag blade. Something we don't have to haul around.

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

My vote is for a Ranger with a less than 7' blade and a backdrag edge on the plow. Would make things easier for sure and it could help on the bigger stuff unlike a utv

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Back blade not back drag edge

6. aaagosman

aaagosman Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have A 2210 john deere With a 54in blade Does a great job.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

x2- I have one it's a game changer for tight/dead end driveways!

8. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Bobcat Tool Cat, with a Kage..... possibly an Ebling (or similar) on the back.

9. therikid

therikid Junior Member

If you are getting good money invest in a pull behind plow

10. rpwilliams

rpwilliams Junior Member

This is the first I've heard or seen the ToolCat. What a machine! I'm still leery of equipment I have to haul around though. Of all our contracts, we have three tight condominium communities and four apartment complexes. The furthest are 29 miles apart. How does this fair vs. a smaller pickup? I know there will be added cost of insurance and licensing with an on-highway vehicle.

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 2 complex until this year I always used a tractor This year added a Skid So much easier Things the skid can do nothing else will compare to it
    Driveways can be drag out or push in to side
    When piles are getting to wide It will stack snow pretty fast
    A skid will turn around on a dime
    My route for my skid is tight From my shop to the complex its 2 miles and on the way there is 10 small lots it can clean on its way to the 2 complex's . So I don't haul mine I just drive it its 2 speed with hydro glide and runs 15-18 mph down the road.
    My skid I run a 7.6 plow could went bigger but you know how people park at those complex's. Sometimes a 7.6 is to wide.
    Small lots I use to do with pickup the skid can do it in half of the time. Since there no backing up time the skid is always plowing.

12. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

Years ago I had a lot of very tight sites that I was servicing, we struggled getting the trucks into corners, and wasted time going back to clean up corners with my skidsteer when necessary. Finally I decided to just throw a plow on my wife's jeep a few years back and it made life so much easier

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You know that they stopped making those two years ago, right?
    Edit... THREE years ago.

14. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

how about a compact tractor with a loader. You got options with that, especially if you do summer work. Use the laoder to stack snow, put a back blade on it (you can find them cheap at auctions or Craigslist) or you could put a blower on the front or back.....whatever combination you see fits. I use my dirt blade for my own driveway on snow. It works fine, every bit as good as my Meyers. The only problem is my tractor is really light and I run out of traction.

15. Antlerart06

I hate to ask but what the he11 What are you talking about?

16. NThill93

NThill93 Member

skids definitely help a lot in tight spots. Try searching around at auctions and craigslist for some deals. I threw a meyer 7.5' plow on mine and it makes a huge difference. Also for compact pickup look into a dakota, theyre cheap, cheap parts and easy to work on and a large variety of engines and years.

17. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

John deere commercial tractor for walks, bigger tractor with blower, or skid with blower, or skid with blade with back drag blade for drives

18. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We use a SS (pictured below) and you cant beat it for tight spots. The downside is that a decent SS is expensive and cost more to repair, you probably also have to haul it. The upside is its the best all around machine and you can use it for summer work.

A SS can jump up on a raised side walk with out a problem and eliminate alot of shovel work.

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

20. Antlerart06