1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ticking noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by k&j Landscaping, Jan 4, 2011.

1. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Have 05 gmc and for a couple of years now I have had a ticking/clicking noise coming from under the passenger side dash area. I have dual manual temp. controls and if I lower the passenger control 2/3 clicks down the noise stops but still blows hot air. In summer there is no noise at all in ac mode and blows ice cold. I believe I've narrowed the problem to the passenger temp actuator but need help replacing/repairing. Anyone have experience or done this repair. It is more annoying then anything. I am just a fanatic for everything working as it should on vehicles. Priced at a shop and it is very expensive. Thanks for any advice.

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

did you check the exhaust manifold? those are known to tick on these trucks

3. RMHSR

RMHSR Member

Had that problem on my 04. I have heard it called different names but it basically is a servo that is controlled electronically by your slide switch. It operates the vent door to allow cold or warm air to pass into the truck. When I bought mine I was told it was out. The door defaults to the cold postition which is why you don't have that prob with the AC. Mine worked great all summer because it was unhooked. I bought a replacement from the dealership and it physically looked the same but the plug was different. I took the bad one apart and cleaned it up some and now it works. Mine ticks like you are describing but still works. If it quits you can take it apart and manipulate the internal gears to the position that gives you heat until you have to replace it.

If you replace it, it is pretty simple. The worst part is making sure the servo is in the position of the door. The rod that attaches can only be put in one way and may need patience to line it up. On my truck it was the drivers side but I am sure the pass side is similar if not the same thing,

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic