1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ticking noise 05 F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mike33087, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

anyone else get a ticking noise on their 5.4 V8 sounds like it may be the cat it only does it when you press the gas... 05 f350 5.4 v8 29,000 any help?
  2. Exhust leak some where on the system. I had it on mine but it was the head going bad at the time, It sucks but now it came back.
  3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

And what oil you use? And what brand you use for oil filter?

There are too many people think Fram oil filter good for Ford. WRONG. It cause piston slap and noise valvetrain when start.

I have 1 guy bought F250 and say it noise. I was surprise he didn't change oil. Now it run little better but still tick at idle because sludge still clog passage.

Check for stud on exhaust to head. If it broke. You better do this yourself because Dealer will charge you more.
  4. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

right now im using a fram tough guard filter and exxon 5-20 (i think, i know its the right kind for the truck but its in the garage)

i beleive its something with the exhaust somewhere, cause ive been using this oil/filter setup forever on my trucks with no problems. but who knows
  5. Milwaukee

I am tell you true. If you go to that http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums

They will ask exact question did you put fram oil filter.

You need use motorcraft oil filter because ford and motorcraft work together.

You know fram oil filter are worse now due cheap bypass valve. here thread what member tell. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/752478-got-a-knock-after-oil-change.html

Plus you know that Ford Dealer will check what oil filter you use if it not motorcraft they would say void warranty.

And you must use motorcraft oil not exxon.

Think price oil and oil filter cheap? Think how much cost for new engine? $5,000. I know one of my friend who have 5 vans and didn't use motorcraft oil or oil filter. Dealer say sorry we won't replace engine because there aftermarket oil filter. Now he use motorcraft oil and filter and no problem.

Trust me you post there they will ask what oil filter brand you run on that.
  6. Milwaukee

couldn't edit.

tick came from lifter on 5.4L You need long screwdriver so you can listen where noise in.
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

the warrenty is expired so i am not concern about that, and when the dealership used to change my oil they always put a mobil 1 filter on, i found that strange but w/e
  8. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

just got off the phone with ford, the right side exhaust manifold if gone, thankfully under warrenty

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

2005 F-250 W/FISHER 8 1/2 HD
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like Exhaust Manifold, but sounds a little too early. I just did mine three weeks ago in my 04 gasser with 78k. Sounds too early for an 05 with under 30k
  11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Manifolds going bad on the Super Duties are a very common issue. In the year and a half I had my F250 both sides went, then it needed a head too. Thank god for warranties.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

that not right, why you say it make warranty void?

You can use any MFG's oil & filter it will not void the warranty, trust me.
    urban myth.

what did you expect ford to say use MOPAR filters?

(you could and it would not void The warranty.)
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, not just the SD's, but the 5.4's in general are known for it. I had the same thing on my Expedition. Ford came out with stainless steel studs to replace the crap they manufactured them with.

And I have yet to have any warranty denied based on oil manufacturer. As long as it meets the required standards.
  14. Milwaukee

Ok are you member of Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum? There are million new members like you say fram or any oil filter are good then why there almost many members on Ford truck enthusiast forum ask what brand oil filter is then they tell get that junk out and put motorcraft oil filter that it.

here info you be shock how fram is bad. http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html
  15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Because ford only drones sign up?
    Because if your brand blind you can not see any other brand.
    Other brands will never be as good as fomoco.

same drivel on the Chevy dodge boards too.
    all others trucks are crap. etc etc...

I bet if you search you'll find a site that says ford is bad.

How can there millions of ford folks signing up every day?
    They don't even sell that many new vehicles in a day do they?
  16. Milwaukee

Honest I do not enjoy that you question me like that. For me I do not like aftermarket oil filter but KN or Baldwin or Wix is good for me because I been hear it good.

I know there several website that say Ford bad but I see Chevy and Dodge too? What that mean?

I say all brand of truck have problem. There are no company make best truck with no problem.

Plus I do see lot Ford have aftermarket oil filter it is fram or cheap no name and owner say engine is crap because rod knock or tick in lifter when cold start. I told them you idiot you must use motorcraft oil filter that it. Then they did it quiet engine in cold start. I have no junk fram or anything expect good old motorcraft on my fords vehicles.

Why not lot member sign at ford forum. They most don't know and bring to dealer. Plus lot peoples who buy and not know lot about mechanical.

Plus lot members who been used fram until they heard knock or something they go there post say I change oil and engine run like noise. We tell you have fram oil filter on it. They say yes it good FRAM then we tell get that piece of crap fram off and put motorcraft.

I will call Ford dealer tomorrow to ask about warranty.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  17. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

It's, the passenger side exhaust studs that are broken, causing your exhaust leak more than likely. Good luck getting Ford to cover it under warranty. That happened to my '04 5.4 and it was just out of warranty so they said it would be $600 to remove studs and replace, or $1100 if they break off in the head and have to take the head off and get machined. Needless to say I told them to lick baldy and I fixed it myself with $8 in stainless bolts. While I was at it I saw how restricting the POS manifolds are so I put on a set of ceramic coated headers too!
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just make sure to replace the broken studs with the stainless ones. Some dealerships don't even know about them or stock them.

And for Mil......the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum has 1 new member today and has a total of 483,806 as of this afternoon.
  19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It is a combination of broken exhaust studs and exhaust gasket. Just fixed mine when I did the head gaskets this summer.
  20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You call ask I wait hear what say.......
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.