1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ticket for being Too Wide

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Runner, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Well, it happened. I got stopped by a county weighmaster of all things, for my plow being too wide. It was just a 7'6 blade on this truck, with prowings that take it to about 9'3. This was during the last event, and was only going a short distance from one lot to another. I figured with the blade angled enough, it would take me to close enough to 8'6, which I understood to be the legal limit here in Michigan. Well, apparently I was WRONG. A state trooper carrier enforcement told me just a few weeks ago that 8'6 is the limit. This county guy is telling me that that is only for trucks pulling trailers. Single vehicles are only allowed 8'. He then proceeded to pull out a tape measure and measure all the way down the plow - the full length,...not the actual angled width. I asked him about this, and he said I had my plow straight when he saw me. News for you Bud,...i NEVER drive with my blade straight for 1. my truck overheats, and 2. it is dangerous...I have posted on many threads on here just RECENTly regarding this (what angle do you drive with). So,...now I have this ticket.....The fine? 240 bucks! It's all about the money. I am firmly convinced that this guy was trolling this busy commercial district just LOOKING for someone with these wings. My question is, what does he do with someone who has an 8'6 or 9' straight blade? Pull them out of service?
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Where city and road where it happened.

Never pull over for 8'6 Plow on F250 yet. When I bought and ask where wings because it have mount on plow. Guy say they sold them because law.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I know there are laws on the books, and it's diferent for each state. My problem is why pick on a guy just trying to keep a business afloat? It would be different if he drove 365 days a year being to wide, but it's just during snowfalls, and they are providing a service in doing so. That being said, I would fight this one tooth and nail, specially if he wrote you up and the blade was angled.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Here in Flint. On Corunna Rd (21) between Linden Rd. and I-75/(US23). He spotted me right in front of a Walmart as he was headed the opposite direction...With a backdrop like that, no WONDER he was influenced to pull me over. I'm thinking on going to court with it,...even to see if perhaps they can reduce it or something.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Good luck Runner, they have been in full force here too.

I almost wish some of the guys that aren't legal get picked on but us that are as legal as we can be seem to get it more.
  6. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

what constitutes you as being a emergency vehicle? ask a lawer
  7. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Yeah same here I know a local agency is stopping and holding guys for upto an hour or so and If I get stopped I am gonna send them a bill for my time and holding me up as I am at the legal limit 8' with no wings, makes me ???? if I should get the wings now or not!

Like someone else stated if your driving like that 24-7 I could see pulling you over but all be gosh darned it if we are providing a service and usually helping them get un-stuck! I had to help pull 2 local cops out of snow banks last year in the city, seems the city guys dont know how to control their runoff or clean it up in intersections !!!
  8. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

My buddy was driving a City T/A when A city cop wrote him up for driving over the center line. There was 8" of fresh snow at 3AM and it was his first pass down Main St. The dumn azs cop wouldn't have known were the center line was untill after it was plowed so how would the plow operator know?

dumn azs
  9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Did the officer take pictures ? if not

>>>>Take your wings off and take a picture of the plow on your truck without the wings and 1 pic showing the length on the tape measure (will require 3 people to take picture) then take the pictures with you to court and show to the judge and he/ she will drop the charges......I will bet a weeks pay the officer did not take pictures. :realmad:
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

1. the legal limit for CMV's (commercial vehicles) is 8'6", doesn't matter if it's a truck or trailer or what, that's the rule unless it's a restricted local road. So, once again, DOT officer doesn't know his own damn rules.

2. What a BS ticket.

3. What do they do about city/county/state trucks with 10' blades? They can get overwidth permits, but I doubt they have them.

4. ALWAYS go to court. The fine cannot get worse, it can always get better, and if everyone went to court, it would totally plug the system up. ALWAYS go to court.
  11. procut

procut Senior Member

I'd go to court and fight that one...
  12. big acres

big acres Senior Member

We've never gotten one of those until recently, even though we run many wide blades.

One of our guys got one with a nine footer... limit here is eight six. He had it straight and cop said he would have let it go if it had been angled.

Brooklyn Park for you MN guys.
  13. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I maintain our county weigh-master's home lawn so I don't have to worry about him. I asked our Co SD and city PD about running wings on 7.6 rs and they both said they had much better things to do than worry about that in a snowstorm. SP may be a different story but we never see them much around here.
  14. outdoorsol

outdoorsol Junior Member

county weighmaster got us last year crossing vienna rd from gas station to parking lot he's looking for easy money same as grand blanc twp. Be careful on dort hwy saw twp, county and 1 state dot in 10 min on wed afternoon

MRBILLS Junior Member

the max with is 8.5 feet or 102 inch
  16. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

that is total b.s. here in grand rapids, they have been hitting guys for dot #'s and dot inspections. Also i have one driver that has beed pulled over 3 times by same cop to make sure he has proper city permit. (big sticker on back window but still gets pulled over)
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said its all about the money. I cannot believe they do not have better things to do in a snow storm than mess with us.
    What about all the tractors and loaders going down the road with 16-20ft plows in the middle of night? i know one guy who runs a 8'6" straight blade with wings, but he has not been stopped yet. our bobcat has a 10' box pusher on it and it runs about a half mile btwn stops, and it goes right in front of a city police station, and no probs yet. i will be keeping my fingers crossed

good luck
  17. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

my dump truck is over 8' mirror to mirror so i guess it is illegal. i would fight the hell out of that. they are citing you on the probability that you will just pay it and not take the time to fight it.
  18. rondoo98

rondoo98 Junior Member

ask to see the vid from his car ? showing it was not angeld if he saw it the vid will too ?
  19. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i had a crown prosecutor (who i was building a fence for) say it best

A cop is paid to be a @sshole,

A judge is paid to be understanding
  20. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Your buddy was driving the plow truck plowing that road and the cop wrote him up? I would have fought THAT one to DEATH. If its your first pass, you went over the line on purpose to get it so there is no snow in the middle. And how the hell can the plow driver see the line with snow on it? Its not like the driver is drunk! Idiots