1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tic Tic Tic

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrendonV, Nov 6, 2002.

1. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

my friend has a 86 1/2 with 305. from the pass side valve cover is a ticking sound, he was told its a loose rocker arm, i agree. guys at auto store told him to take cover off and let engine run WITH THE COVER OFF, so it makes a big mess, and tighten until tick goes away. it might be right but i cant trust auto parts store people, they sell the product but do they work on cars?? anyways, all i heard to do from research in books is to tighen rick arm while spinning the pushrod, when pushrod stops spinning, tight 1/2 turn to 3/4 turn. i dont think i want my driveway a mess with the oil but if its done that way i could make a exception.

thanks brendonv

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Brendon,it can be done with the cover off,engine running.Ive done it that way on occasion,the other way takes a lot longer.If you dont care,do it with the engine running,you'll need a 5/8 deep socket, 6-8" extension and a 3/8 ratchet. take the cover off,have a friend fire it up,with it running at idle start at the front cyl,back off the 1st rocker until it ticks,tighten til it stops ticking,then go 1 full turn extra,slowly. do this to all them,the tick should be gone. Before i do that,I give the valve train a quick look over you may be able to feel which one is loose if its real bad.Always check the rocker arm,pushrod,and rocker ball/stud.The studs are pressed in the the 305's,ive seen them work loose,and walk out,adjusting it wont help it will walk out more within a week or so,you need to remove it,tap it,and install a screw in stud.Check for bent pushrods,a bent one will run loose,and tick obviously. if oil wasnt changed often,the rockers can literally saw right thru the rocker ball/stud,/and or the pushrod.I made a adjusting valve cover a long time ago, i cut out the center of a small block valve cover,so you can adjust valves without oil squirting all over the engine compartment.you'd just lay it on the head,bolt it down with 2 bolts and take your time doing it.Without it ,its like a chinese fire drill,trying to get all 8 rockers adjusted while hot oil is squirting at you,and smoke is pouring off the exhasut manifold.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There are also clip on caps that cover the pushrod end of the rocker that keep the oil from spraying. They're fairly inexpensive and available from any good parts store.

4. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

But where's the fun in that? :D

5. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Its been a while, but if you have old valve covers just cut off most of the top to stop the oil from spraying and leave enough room for the rockers to be worked on. Then you can keep the truck running and keep the oil in too:drinkup: