1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tibrens vs larger springs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by glenspot, Aug 31, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I have a Dodge 1500.... a small truck for serious plowing, I know. But I fully intend on using it and abusing it this winter...so, bear with me on the discussion, ok.

The company I bought the western 8foot plow from has offered to put 1 ton diesel springs on for me this winter, and take them off again in the spring. (for free)

But, after reading so much about tibrens, I don't know what would be the better option.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I would go with the springs (if they will fit) because they are free.

After a winter of "use and abuse" with a dodge 1500 with an 8 foot plow, you will need that extra money for repairs :)

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

if they fit i think i would go with the free springs :)
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yep free spring thats good i wish my dodge had coil springs rather then the torsion bars
  5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Make sure you have a tranny cooler on that Dodge if its an automatic.
    I am unsure what to do with the spring question. If the diesel springs fit and they will swap them out, I think I would go that route.
    Good luck,
    Mark K
  6. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Transmission cooler.

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

The springs came off another dodge 1500 that a guy used to plow. So, yes. I'm told they will fit.

The tranny cooler... i doubt I have one. Could you help me out a little bit with information on that.

Is that the kind of thing that I can get aftermarket? The nearest dodge dealer is about an hour away.

What am i expecting along the lines of cost? A couple hundred, or nearly a thousand?

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I would 'guess' that diesel springs would be overkill, as the cummins motor is extremely heavy, but the worst I could see is that it may be a little harsh riding or sit kinda high--may require a height adjustment on the plow mount if that is the case. Sounds like a good idea though, just make sure you (and they) are VERY clear on the "free" part beforehand as you don't wanna be stuck with a bill.

Tranny cooler is extremely easy and a very worthwhile investment. Don't worry about the Dodge dealer, head down to your local parts store (armed with measurements) and buy the largest one you can fit in it's mounting position ahead of the rad. Install is very simple, if you can turn a screwdriver and operate a set of pliers and a wrench or two, you can do it at home with minimal problems... I'm sure instructions will be provided. Remember that you want to run it in tandem with the factory cooler tank in the radiator... there is some degree of arguement as to whether to put it before or after the tank.... my feeling is this: If it's going on a performance car where you want the tranny to stay as cool as possible, put the auxillery cooler after the tank. If its going on a plow truck where it will be in cold usage, put it before the tank (so as the engine warms up it brings the tranny up to operating temperature too).

Let me sum that up by saying this, either before or after, it will be beneficial to your plow truck. :p Don't be shy, its not a hard job! Cost on the cooler and supplies will probably be around $100 and will prolong the life of your automatic---well worth the investment if you've ever had to have one rebuilt!
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  8. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Put the Diesel springs on, but don't take them off next spring. You will like the ride with them on, and the truck should sit nice and level with them on.

The Timbrens also wouldn't hurt you either, but you can wait and see how it goes with the springs first.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the diesel springs, what kind of plow is it (fisher western boss meyer etc). The 8' is not ideal but will be fine on your truck for sure, my 7'6" plow weighs more than some 8' plows and its on an F-150 not a problem at all. People are quick to write off 1500/150 s as trucks that will be nothing but problems with a plow. Fact is anything from a jeep to an F-650 can get the job done. Transmission cooler is not too expensive installation is easy i did mine myself. I put mine before the factory tank but both will work.
  10. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

WHat kind of plow

The plow is a western. I had the undercarriage installed earlier this year, and the "guy" (I wish all of you had a guy this nice) is storing the plow and springs for me, until I need them (also free).

He warned me about driving around with the springs installed, and without the plow on. He said that I would go through tires in about a month...

Let me give you a line on this guy. It's Top Notch Accessories in Ironwood, Michigan. Back when I was first getting my truck I wanted a receiver hitch. I stopped in to see how much one would be from him. He quoted me $150 installed. I said, ok. I don't have an extra $150 right now, so I'll have it done when I can. He said...I'll pick your truck up from your work tomorrow morning. You pay me when you can. About 3 MONTHS later i sent him a check. He called me at home and was questioning the check. "I didn't expect this so soon."

Exactly the kind of guy you want to know. If you ever have an opportunity to do business with him, please do.