1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Thurs-Fri Northeast

Discussion in 'Weather' started by cjasonbr, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Where the Snow Will FallUpdated: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:41 AM

Thursday's winter storm across the Deep South will bring snow to the Ohio Valley, with thunderstorms and heavy rain along the Gulf Coast. Precipitation may begin as snow or ice in the Carolina Piedmont before changing to rain later in the day. A dangerous freezing rain will coat the foothills, while to the north, snow will spread into the mid-Atlantic states during the afternoon.

By Thursday night, the storm center will reach North Carolina and Virginia. Snow will fall across much of West Virginia, central and western Pennsylvania and upstate New York. Most of the big cities along the East Coast will have snow changing to rain. Rain and thunderstorms will continue along the Southeast coastline.

On Friday, snow will fall across most of New England, except for Cape Cod and southern Rhode Island where it will mix with some rain. Since this storm will move rapidly, most of the precipitation should end by midday Friday. The exception will be across Maine, where snow will linger into the afternoon.

At this point, it appears that over 6 inches will fall from the Poconos of Pennsylvania through the capital district of New York into the Green and White mountains of New England and much of Maine.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

ill take that it looks like were in the 1-3 but hopefully thatll go up
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'll take that projected 6-12, thank you! ;)
  4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

DBL Amen to that:redbounce purplebou :bluebounc
  5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If this storm doesn't go off shore like they think it might - and travels up NE instead - we will have a giant Noreaster. They dropped the N word a couple times yesterday about the storm, today they're saying it wont be that bad. But you have to figure, if this storm changes its course by just a little bit, we'll all be very, very happy.
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Or very very MAD:mad: 2 local stations said the newest data show it going out to sea.:mad:
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea - they are saying it's going out to sea. Look at the map - they're predicting the storm to go out to sea around the tip of Pennsylvania, and that's still leaving a considerable amount of snow. Now imagine if it actually doesn't go out to sea, and hits us head on. :nod:

8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Depending on where your located when it goes out to sea can be a big storm or junk. For us in CT when the weather men say storms are going out to sea, they mean tracking too far south and we usually dont get any measurable snow. For us in CT to get a big Noreaster the storm has to track perfectly...not too far south, not too far north. The farther north the low comes to us, the more rain & mix sh*t...depending how far south the low goes, we either get graised or nothing. That model shows the Low coming more inland and giving most of CT a mix. But the latest local forecast says its going out to sea....meaning farther south, where we would get graised or nothing at all.
    We'll hafta wait and see. Im taking ever prediction with a grain of salt.
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

theyre saying it may or may not change to rain theyll know in a day or so so we may get lucky
  10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Good point, you guys are further south than me.... i'm feeling pretty good about it though! payup
  11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I wish it would stall a bit and start late Friday, we would end up with twice what their calling for! Temps in Boston are going to be too warm on Friday to sustain an all snow event. Iif it came in later on Friday Night it would be much different, Saturday is suppose to be colder and would produce an all snow event, no mixing.

I just hope we get at least 6", would make a huge difference!

12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure where you heard no snow for Boston?
  13. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

Just watched 7 news and Pete said he does not think the Storm on Friday is going to do much at all
  14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

That figures...LET'S FACE IT NORTHEAST, IT'S NEVER GOING TO SNOW :cry: :angry: ........sound familiar?:nod:

I sure hope we get at least 2"...I'll take more in a heartbeat!:redbounce
  15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Latest Snowfall Forecast Updated: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:06 PM

First a note to all you snow nuts out there. If you are rooting for one of those colossal winter storms, forget it; this is not one of them. Rather, this is going to be a fast mover that produces modest snowfall from the southern Rockies to New England. A broad area will get 1-3 inches of snow while a smaller territory gets over 3 inches. The graphic above shows what can be expected through Wednesday night. Below is our preliminary forecast for what falls beyond that.

Story by Accuweather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist John Kocet.

16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I believe the totals have changed 2 times if not 3 three times today. They still don't have a clue has to what is going to happen with it. Do they ever have a clue until they look out their window? Just like us.
  17. I8URVTEC

I8URVTEC Junior Member

They keep changing their forcast for this storm. Now they are saying that for my area it may stay warm enough to turn the snow to rain towards the end of the storm and therefore wash away any of the accumulation.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Nope, not supposed to get any snow out of this Thurs-Fri storm in the tri-state area...what a surprise!:cry: I love how the weathermen predict 3-6, then gradually bring the totals down, and casually say on their web pages "oh yeah, the storm tracked differently, the northeast will now see very little of any snow accumulation at all"....thanks for the accurate forecasts guys :angry: ! Being a weatherman is the only job where you can screw with peoples lives and still get paid to come back again the next day to give out more BS information!:realmad: I'm starting to seriously think it may never really snow here in the Tri-State area!:cry:
  19. ManorLandscape8

ManorLandscape8 Member

I hear ya. The weathermen are a bunch of F****** idiots. I'm done watching weather. If i see flakes which i never might see then i will put my plow on. They have messed up pretty much every storm this season. Now its been cold for the past two weeks and when it finally looks like its going to snow they forecast rain. I think its time to sell the plow and buy another scag.
  20. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Last forecast for Southern NH

Tonight: A chance of snow, mainly after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. South wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday: Snow likely, mainly between 1pm and 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. North wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

another storm out to sea